Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > metals and coatings for mash tuns?

Old 02-07-2009, 10:10 PM   #1
okstatepike
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default metals and coatings for mash tuns?

I am working on a cooler-based mash tun and I am having trouble finding a certain part, and it leads me to a question.

I have been looking for a stainless steel 3/4" washer for the internal side of the bulkhead. All I have been able to find is a zinc coated washer. Is the zinc coating a problem? Any negative interaction chemically with the mash? If so, where can I find a washer like this that is stainless steel?

Kegged: None
Drinking: Everything

Old 02-07-2009, 10:16 PM   #2
eriktlupus

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

zinc is a electrically active metal, they use it on boats to prevent corrosion on motor parts, so i wouldn't think that in your acidic wort would be a good place. i found my SS washer at the local farm supply store .(tsc)

DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS

join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

Old 02-07-2009, 10:49 PM   #3
Duckfoot
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

IIRC I found a SS 3/4" washer at Lowes... I still can't believe it myself...
Kegged : DFB Belgian Pale, DFB Brown, DFB Belgian Dark Strong, DFB Cider...
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Non-Alcoholic beer is like going down on your cousin, it might taste the same but it just ain’t right!

Old 02-07-2009, 11:00 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1340 Times on 878 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Yup, 3/4" stainless washers are in the specialty drawers at Lowes. The closest lowes is always out of stock on them, but a newer one a little further away has them all the time.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:52 PM   #5
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Any marine supply or Chandlery will have stainless hareware and washers by the box full.
For inside a round MLT pre bend the washer to match the radius first before installing unless it's a square MLT with flat mounting surfaces. Many 3/4" washers are rather oversize in the ID, this is where a 5/8" almost fits then a quick bore on the lathe for a nice fit is required.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:05 AM   #6
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The ACE hardeware store in my small town has stainless not only in washers but SAE, Metric including left hand thread nuts, bolts and screws. True-Value has 1/10 of ACE, don't care plus higher priced.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:47 PM   #7
ghack
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

If you mix zinc (galvanized) metals with copper in a mildly acidic liquid you will be creating a battery. Both metals will corrode quickly.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:51 PM   #8
donshizzles
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Got mine at Fastenal

Old 12-31-2013, 10:01 PM   #9
signpost
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 492

OK, I've been looking through tons of old threads on this topic.

I had picked up some zinc washers for my new cooler/mash tun build at Home Depot. Realized that was a bad idea. Then I found some washers at the local ACO hardware store that were just labeled "steel SAE". I picked up a few, but now I'm wondering if they are actually what I need. Of course, there was nobody around the store that seemed like they would have a clue enough to give an answer that I'd be willing to trust.

So, what do you all think? Is a "steel SAE" washer for $.50 OK, or do I need to go to Lowes to get the stainless steel ones that are $2.50 for 2 of them.
Fermenting - Back To School Porter; SSB (Signpost Sour Blonde); County Western (a dark sour); Chris' Tall Ale (Golden ale w/ sour dregs); 4 small batch blends - 1 w/ cherries and 1 w/ peaches Bottled - Where Y'all At?; Signpost Creek Paint Cider; Signpost Oud Bruin; Land of Pils and Honey, Imp. Saison with Clover Honey; Ad Hoc Berliner Weisse; Back To School Porter, Imperial Robust Porter with vanilla beans Kegged - BBD Belgian Malty Ale

Old 01-01-2014, 02:16 AM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1340 Times on 878 Posts
Likes Given: 35

SAE definitely doesn't mean stainless, it's more about the dimensions. You need stainless.