Chocolate Coffee Stout...with Floaters?!?! - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Chocolate Coffee Stout...with Floaters?!?!

Old 02-07-2009, 04:52 PM   #1
Nov 2008
Austin, TX

A few weeks ago, I made my first all-grain batch using DeathBrewer's two-kettle-with-a-grain-bag approach. The recipe was a chocolate stout (10 lb grain bill) to which I added 1/2 lb of course ground coffee and 11 oz of Godiva dark chocolate nibs. I added the coffee and chocolate at flame-out and kept the coffee in a grain bag for easy extraction. Everything seemed to go well.

Now, the stout has been in the bottle a few weeks and I have noticed a creamy looking 'head' floating on top in the bottles. I popped one a few days ago and it was nicely carbed and tasted pretty good (and very much like coffee). The thing is, there are these light-colored floaters in it. They don't taste bad, but they are a bit unattractive. My suspicion is that they are remnants of the coffee beans. They look just like the light-colored bits you see in a freshly ground medium-roast coffee.

Has any else had a similar experience, or seen something similar when using coffee? Is there a simple way to get rid of these guys?