Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Cream of Tartar/Lemon Juice instead of Acid blend?

Old 02-06-2009, 08:34 PM   #1
Brewkowski
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default Cream of Tartar/Lemon Juice instead of Acid blend?

Since cider will have a high level of malic acid, would it be possible to use some household ingredients to increase the acidity? I thought cream of tartar and lemon juice would probably work, but not sure about the amounts because they are not the pure acid form. Maybe a tsp of each? I'm making a cider and in case it finishes soft, I'd like to perk it up a bit if need be and I don't have any acid blend.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:56 PM   #2
will_cbe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've had good results with 3 ml of lemon juice per gallon before. Never tried cream of tartar.
You may want to use the best chemical detector we have at our disposals. Our tongue.
Aging: Mulberry Wine, Mint Mead, Dandelion Wine, Mesquite Mead
Drinking: Apfelwein
On Hand: Peach Mango Wine, Huck's Cider, Mulberry Mead, Orange Spice Mead, Cyser, Apfelwein, Maple Cinnamon Mead, Hard Cider, Brown Sugar Cider

Old 02-07-2009, 03:07 AM   #3
SegmentedMonkey
Recipes 

What exactly is in the acid blend they sell at the HBS anyway? I've often just used a splash of lemon juice, or some ascorbic acid (vitamin c) powder that I've bought at the bulk store as my acid source (and anti-oxidant) and had great success.

Of course, I tend to do things the cheaper way for such things, so I have more money to spend on quality honey and fruits and such.

I look at the pink stuff my HBS sells for sterilization and gag at the price, when a gallon of unscented bleach costs a dollar, and a few caps full and tap water will create a bucket full of hot sterilizer.