Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Priming with brown sugar

Old 02-06-2009, 04:36 PM   #1
mr_clean
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Priming with brown sugar

So my porter is almost ready to bottle and i was gonna prime it with brown sugar.Anyone one try this?I read that it was good to use brown sugar in darker beers,will this leave a bad taste or anything else negative i should know about?Thanx in advance.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:00 PM   #2
SkewedBrewing
Hopscallion
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

To quote Revvy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Arrgh...I can't find the refrence, but I believe you use less than normal. I'm pretty sure that you use 1/2 cup for 5 gallons....and you dissolve it in boiling water like you normally do with priming sugar.

grr...I wish I could find the source...But I'm almost positive 1/2 cup was what I used for my porter.

EDIT Palmer says this...

Quote:
Here's how to make and add priming solutions:
1. Boil 3/4 cup of corn sugar (4 oz by weight), or 2/3 cup of white sugar, or 1 and 1/4 cup dry malt extract in 2 cups of water and let it cool.
Since brown sugar is really just table sugar with mollases go with 2/3 of a cup.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
ACo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

brown sugar is just refined white sugar with molasis, or some additives. Its your choice.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:06 PM   #4
mr_clean
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Will it give it a hot,sharp taste?

Old 02-06-2009, 05:18 PM   #5
SkewedBrewing
Hopscallion

Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

AFAIK the sugar will be almost completely fermented so you won't impart too much of a flavor by using brown sugar, maybe some color, but not a whole lot of flavor.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:02 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2888 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

There are a couple of commercial pumpkin beers that prime with brown sugar, and I've done the same...it hits your mouth with a nice, subtle mollases/brown sugar taste that goes well with pumpkin, and probably would work nicely with a brown, a porter or a stout. The sugar dissapears but it is the mollases that gives the brown sugar it's flavor, and that is not 100% fermentable, so that is what you taste....It's good, but I don't know what beers other than those I mentioned would work with it...

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-06-2009, 06:07 PM   #7
Shawn Hargreaves
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I used brown sugar for priming a couple of times, but in retrospect I don't really see the point. The quantity of molasses in the amount you use for priming is too small to have any noticeable flavor impact, so in the end, why bother? I found it just threw off my carbonation levels compared to the corn sugar I normally use.

My recommendation: it's a waste of time trying to add subtle flavors via your priming sugar. Just prime with regular sugar. If you want molasses flavor, add some molasses to your wort.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:42 PM   #8
KMart104
Recipes 

I am making an octoberfest;
grains1/4 lbmunich malt, 1/4 lb vienna malt and 1/2 lb light crystal malt
3lb amber extract
3 lb light extract
1oz cluster bitteringhops
1/2tsp irish moss
1 oz oroma hops tettnanger

Now i kind of like the idea of a hint of molasses flavor.
When i bought this reciepe from the lbs i wanted somthing compared to sam adams octoberfest. Does anyone know potential outcome of this. SHould i do it as given or should i try to add the brouwn sugar for a added flovor.