Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Most Expensive Beer... In the World.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:10 PM   #1
SkewedBrewing
Hopscallion
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Most Expensive Beer... In the World.

So I was watching the newest Episode of Oz and James Drink to Britain the other day and they went to a branch of the Carlsberg Beer Company to drink "The World's Most Expensive" beer, which can be seen here:

Jacob's Vintage

This got me thinking. Is it really worth nearly 400 dollars for a bottle of beer? I understand that in winemaking there are many factors that go into cost, i.e. barrels, vintage, location, grapes, yeast, etc. etc. What about beer, though? I recently read Shonuff's post with the article about Elevating Beer's Image (I agree with that article completely) and I wondered:

A: Is any beer really worth over 300 dollars?
B: If wine can be in the tens of thousands for a bottle, why not beer? By comparison, that much for a beer is nothing compared to some wines.

And then I realized that I could make more than ten different batches of beer for the price of one bottle of that Carlsberg beer and I'd rather do that any day.

Then I started drinking and stopped thinking about his all together, until now...

Old 02-06-2009, 04:21 PM   #2
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Well, to each their own. I wouldn't have any problems paying $15-$20 a bottle for a Westvleteren beer or maybe a Russian River product that is not available anywhere near where I live, but that's about my limit for a 12-oz bottle, and that would only be a very rare or one-time treat. That's about my limit.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:25 PM   #3
Ragutis
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Here is an episode of Three Sheets where Zane Lamprey tries said beer. Funny stuff.

Hulu - Three Sheets: Denmark - Watch the full episode now.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:30 PM   #5
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

People have paid MUCH MUCH more for MUCH MUCH stupider things.

Value is in the eye of the moolah holder

Old 02-06-2009, 04:31 PM   #6
mlanoue
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Just my take:

a.) Still not sure what beer is worth $300 to begin with.
b.) Win is a very different animal. Since so much of a good wine depends on vineyard location, year, age of vines, blending methods, barrel aging, and so on, it makes it possible for some wineries to make a product that is prized more than others. And wine ages much better than most beer, too, so people can collect it and resell it at a profit. And fine wine has a longer history than craft beer, as far as collecting goes. Still, overall, a lot of very good bottles of wine are on sale for $9 a bottle. Only a handful are sold for hundreds or thousands of dollars.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:36 PM   #7
Papinquack
Recipes 

My nephew bought me 1 bottle of Samuel Adams Triple bock for Christmas. I think he paid $9.00 for it and it was the worst sh** I've ever put to my lips. I dont have the money nor the interest in expensive whims. I'll take a plain pint of Ale any day!

Old 02-06-2009, 04:47 PM   #8
Southwood

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkewedAle View Post
A: Is any beer really worth over 300 dollars?
I'm curious, why $300? Is there something you want to tell us...
Also pouring: Weizen-bock, Solstice Ale '06

Old 02-06-2009, 05:10 PM   #9
mmb
FFS, really?
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3383 Times on 3264 Posts
Likes Given: 222

The OP's beer comes in... wait for it...

A GREEN BOTTLE!

WTF!

Imagine, if you will, a skunked $400 bottle of beer. ?!?!?!?! Someone would have to die.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:22 PM   #10
SkewedBrewing
Hopscallion

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Southwood, what would you be insinuating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmb View Post
The OP's beer comes in... wait for it...

A GREEN BOTTLE!

WTF!

Imagine, if you will, a skunked $400 bottle of beer. ?!?!?!?! Someone would have to die.
I know, right? That's hilarious. IMO the beer is a marketing scheme and that's about it. Although I haven't tasted this beer, I can automatically assume that I would rather drink a whole ****load of other beers that are less then 10 bucks... a six pack...