Where should I keep my beer now that it is conditioned

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hilbert

Reaction score
My beer has been bottled conditioned for 2 weeks at 65-70 degrees.

I know have too options for storage available to me and I want to know which one will produce better beer.

I can leave it in the crawl space were I conditioned it. The temp in that area is a consistent 60-65 degrees.

or

I can put it in the garage where the temp is a consistent 40-45 degrees.

I am looking to put this beer out for poker in a month. So I have 4 more weeks to let it sit and I want to make the most out of that time.

Thanks

I would keep it in the 60-65 degree area for now and then put it in the cooler space about a week before you want to serve it... I would probably refrigerate it for a week prior just to increase the clarity even more (if your beer is going to benefit from clarity).

How about both? Two weeks at 60-65, then move it to the 40-45 for two weeks and/or long term storage. Since it's conditioned for only two weeks so far, it could probably use a little more time at the warmer temps anyway.

Thanks I kinda figured I should let it sit in the warmer location a little longer to make sure it finishes carbonating.

I like the idea of splitting the time so I am able to still let it sit in a cool place to finish clearing.

Actually they recommend storing beer close to the temp you will serve it at. I keg condition all my beers at 50f. If your convinced their properly carbonated, I would store them some where close to 50f or so. I vote for the garage. Although 2 weeks doesn't sound long enough to be fully carbed.

What kind of beer did you make? In all of my 3 batches (I know, impressive number right?), none of them were properly carbonated until 3 weeks.

My humble (and likely noobish) advice is wait 3 weeks at the warmer temperature, then stick one in the fridge for 24-48 hours before sampling. If it is carbonated properly, then consider a different location for storage. Since the storage may depend on the kind of beer (clarity, aging, etc), you may want to trust the advice from a more experienced brewers.

Back