Should I aerate my beer to get lower FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HIT_MAN

Reaction score
My hefe as been stuck at 1.020-1.022 for the last 2 weeks in the primary. What can I do to get it lower?

Definitely do NOT aerate! That will oxidize your beer and give you off flavors. What temp is your beer? What was your OG?

Need more info like ferment temps, what kind of yeast, OG, etc, but you could shake the primary gently to rouse the yeast and try moving the primary to a warmer location.

I have been fermenting at 72*. I used Fermentis WB-06 yeast. Had an OG of 1.049

Try rousing the yeast a bit be gently rocking the carboy/bucket. If that doesn't work, you may need to pitch more yeast from an active starter to get it any lower.

What's the target fg of your recipe? If it's at 1.020, for two weeks, it might be done, or close to it...

Should probably be around 1.015. WB-06 doesn't list an actual percentage for attenuation, only that it is "medium to low", at 68-70% (which seems low to me) you should still finish around 1.015.

i searched the forum cant find the answer to this. when i move to a secondary do i aerate the beer again or not. also, i know this is prob stupid but do i aerate before bottling or will the yeast be fine on their own to go after the corn sugar.

Back