Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Howto: Capture Wild Yeast

Old 09-08-2011, 05:20 AM   #581
2brew1cup
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Dme??

underground and under the influence

Old 09-08-2011, 08:00 PM   #582
morticaixavier
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts

Dried Malt Extract

Old 09-09-2011, 04:27 PM   #583
hopsalot
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafferpilot View Post
Looks to me like you have a vinegar mother there....
SCOBY son!!! I hope you like Kombucha

http://bjsbrewery.blogspot.com/

Old 09-11-2011, 03:31 AM   #584
ashton
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

my buddies parents live out in the country and keep bees on their property. Today we set 5 mason jars of 1.020 wort in different areas around the yard. Totally forgot to take pics, but here are the locations..
1 under some boysenberry vines
2 in the general area around the bee boxes
1 next to some cherry tomatoes
1 under a passion vine

I'll definitely include pictures when we go back out to see whats up with them..

Old 09-11-2011, 06:12 AM   #585
Stout-n-Braggot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ashton,
you should also boil and cool some water and then dissolve some raw honey into it and let that naturally ferment, that will usually get some nice wild yeasts going, especially if you might be able to take some fresh honeycomb straight from a hive and use it.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:53 PM   #586
ashton
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I can absolutely do that, they have around 8 hives and basically can't get rid of the stuff fast enough! I'll try it out and include pictures/info with interesting updates from the original yeast traps. Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 09-12-2011, 02:13 AM   #587
Stout-n-Braggot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Put a nice, clean section of somewhat full honeycomb, maybe a piece 3 inches square or so, into about a quart of sterile water at about 90 degrees so the honey can slowly reconstitute itself and the microbes won't be stressed.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:58 AM   #588
Accidic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 73

Ok so after reading through this thread I was intrigued by the concept of catching and/or harvesting my own little yeast beasties... As I have access to some muscadines on the vine I was going to do the plate approach to isolate the strains for possible apfelwine-ish applications, wine maybe, and if I'm lucky beer.

That said... I have dme and agar and if absolutely necessary I will go with micro jars (0.5-1 cup perhaps I guess they are?). That said I was looking for actual plates if possible and unfortunately waiting for shipping isn't an option as the window to get the grapes is small at this point. That said does anyone have any idea where I might can find such a thing? As I live right beside the state capital there are several colleges larger than cc's but smaller than the biggest in the state. It seems like there would be a supply type place bit I'm not having luck contacting the colleges and wondered if anyone had alternative suggestions of places to start.

If the above falls through... Can anyone think of any problems with using the super tiny mason jars stored upside down except for the lack of visibility? Any other possible substitute? Thought about hitting up my mother who's a nurse at a diabetics center but that of course requires me to call my mother.....

Old 09-15-2011, 11:38 AM   #589
beerchemist
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidic View Post
That said... I have dme and agar and if absolutely necessary I will go with micro jars (0.5-1 cup perhaps I guess they are?). That said I was looking for actual plates if possible and unfortunately waiting for shipping isn't an option as the window to get the grapes is small at this point. That said does anyone have any idea where I might can find such a thing? As I live right beside the state capital there are several colleges larger than cc's but smaller than the biggest in the state. It seems like there would be a supply type place bit I'm not having luck contacting the colleges and wondered if anyone had alternative suggestions of places to start.
When I was a kid, we'd always order stuff like that from Edmund Scientific, which caters to K-12 education and hobbyists. Amazon might be a good bet, too.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:19 PM   #590
kingboomer
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidic View Post
Ok so after reading through this thread I was intrigued by the concept of catching and/or harvesting my own little yeast beasties... As I have access to some muscadines on the vine I was going to do the plate approach to isolate the strains for possible apfelwine-ish applications, wine maybe, and if I'm lucky beer.

If the above falls through... Can anyone think of any problems with using the super tiny mason jars stored upside down except for the lack of visibility? Any other possible substitute? Thought about hitting up my mother who's a nurse at a diabetics center but that of course requires me to call my mother.....

I've done this with mushroom cultures before. The way I do it is have about 1/2-3/4 inches of media on the bottom and a hole in the top stuffed with polyfill for gas exchange. Those jars work nice in a pinch .

-Kingboomer