Does brewing stop after kids? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Does brewing stop after kids?

Old 02-05-2009, 04:02 AM   #1
jcarson83

Recipes 

Jun 2006
Springfield, MO
Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

I just got back from lamaze class and finished dry hopping my Two Hearted clone and was wondering, does brewing stop after birth? I have one "safe" weekend left to brew my welcome back off the wagon present for my wife (SWMBO Slayer). I brewed the first a while back but its not going to make it long enough. I know my worries are probably just due to freaking out from whats about to happen (RDWHAHB) but I know its going to be hard working 10-12 hours a day and finding time for the fam. Once he gets old enough I think it's something we can do together and have fun with but boiling liquid and propane burners are no place for a new born.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:10 AM   #2
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2006
Eldorado, WI
Liked 146 Times on 57 Posts

I already had one kid when I started brewing. Having the second one around didn't change anything. Some folks around here have their kids help them when they brew. My kids hate the smell, so they won't help. My oldest thinks the stir plate is pretty cool, though.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 02-05-2009, 04:55 AM   #3

I have a son that's going on 2 months. He's Like Bernie Brewer's kids not much help!!

I think you'll find you can still brew, you just need to plan ahead a little further. Don't surpise SWMBO with, ah.... "Oh yah, I'm brewing today..." I think its a good way to get them upset if they had plans to go out and have you watch the kid. This will be my issue as I get back to doing AG outside.

When the weather is bad, I do PM's with partial boils on the stove.

I brewed a partial mash two weeks ago, with the kid swinging away in his swing. I can give him a bottle then strap him into swing and he will be occupied for 45 minutes easily. When I lay him down to sleep he is zonked for 4 hours. They seem to get into a feeding & sleep schedule that you can work/brew around.

If I were you, brew like crazy now, after the kid comes you will need the stash for awhile. Tides you over until all 3 of you are in a routine.

On Tap; Special Export, Spring SmaSH Summit, House Amber.

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 02-05-2009, 05:30 AM   #4
BrianTheBrewer
Recipes 

Feb 2008
San Diego CA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I will never stop...

"Good people drink good beer" - Hunter S. Thompson

http://brianthebrewer.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/BrianTheBrewer
http://www.chugsd.com
http://www.quaff.org/

Old 02-05-2009, 05:46 AM   #5
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 7411 Times on 6079 Posts

No.

Maybe a little.

It better not, I took delivery of a BM 2 days after my second came home.

He's 4 weeks old now and I already have 2 fermenters going.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:42 AM   #6
Jif
Recipes 

Jan 2009
St. Louis
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My dad brewed all the time when I was a wee one, round about 2-5 years old. I started brewing in college, and it was the weirdest thing in the world. I have only fleeting memories of him brewing when I was little, but as soon as I smelled the boiling wort it immediately took me back. Keep brewing, your kids will have great memories!

Old 02-05-2009, 07:39 AM   #7
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Dec 2005
Portland, OR, Oregon
Liked 50 Times on 35 Posts

No, it won't stop, but if this is your first, it will definitely slow down for awhile. At least until they start sleeping through the night.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:06 PM   #8
babalu87
Recipes 

Feb 2008
Middleborough, MA
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

You know that legal limit thing.............................
Have kids

I speed on the highway too

Old 02-05-2009, 03:18 PM   #9
chainsawbrewing

Recipes 

Feb 2007
Indianapolis,IN
Liked 40 Times on 31 Posts

my son is 6. he likes to munch on the grains out of the bag while i'm mashing in, and likes throwing in the hops into the boil for me, and helps generally however i need him to.

my bar build

Old 02-05-2009, 03:23 PM   #10
shecky
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

May 2008
Watertown, CT
Liked 3740 Times on 3580 Posts

I already had two kids when I started. In my case, I find it hard to grab some brewing time. I'm home with my younger one in the mornings during the week, go to work in the afternoons into the night. I don't have weekends free until the summer, and then it's family time because I spend much of the fall and winter away from home.

I think it largely comes down to personal choice. I choose not to take time away from my family to brew. I much prefer to steal some time when the family is not around, ie when I have a day off during the week. That's why my production is not what I would like it to be.

But when the second one starts school full time in the fall, all bets are off.