Possible source of free #2 plastic jugs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefmike

Reaction score
I have read threads of folks thinking about various containers for fermentation vessels.

Fryer oil is delivered to restaurants in 5 gallon #2 plastic jugs. I washed one out today and am going to dump in some AJ to ferment out.

If you are looking for something free, this might work in a jam. I have a picture... I will see if I can figure out how to post it. I have not tried doing that yet.

IMAGE_00034.jpg

It has a screw on plastic lid that is not shown.

The oil comes out easily. We use regular dish soap and some hot water. Comes perfectly clean.

+1 to the easy cleaning. I popped the cardboard out of the lid, washed it with soap twice to be sure and filled it with the water you see. There was no visible oil residue.

The cap is hard plastic, so easy to drill for an airlock.

Yup, it's a great trick - I've got 7 so far from my place, I'd like 10 altogether, the plastic screw caps are my only concern that they don't make a good tight seal so you would have to still buy the bungs for them.

put them in a milk crate for stability... they ship to us in cardboard boxes, but they are pretty stable with out them.

Somehow never thought of this. I guess I'm too engrossed in my beautiful glass carboys to have even considered fermenting in one of these...If anyone in my area wants them I can feed you two a week.

Go to any pizza place and ask if they can give you some. Most places go through these jugs pretty quickly. They're probably tossed in the garbage.

Latest posts

Back