Howl at The Moon Smoked Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyangler18

Reaction score
[size=+2]Howl At The Moon Smoked Porter[/size]
[size=+1]22-B Other Smoked Beer[/size]
Author: Jason Konopinski
Date: 2/3/09

Size: 5.0 gal
Efficiency: 80%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 193.66 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.058 (1.026 - 1.120)
|=============#==================|
Terminal Gravity: 1.015 (0.995 - 1.035)
|===============#================|
Color: 26.95 (1.0 - 50.0)
|================#===============|
Alcohol: 5.72% (2.5% - 14.5%)
|============#===================|
Bitterness: 32.2 (0.0 - 100.0)
|=============#==================|

[size=+1]Ingredients:[/size]
5 lb Smoked Malt
3.0 lb Munich Malt
1.0 lb Cara-Pils
12 oz Dark Chocolate Malt
12 oz British Dark Crystal
1.21 oz Challenger (7.1%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1.0 ea WYeast 1028 London Ale

00:12:55 Mash-In - Liquor: 3.25 gal; Strike: 170.11 °F; Target: 156 °F
01:12:55 Saccharification Rest - Rest: 60 min; Final: 154.0 °F
01:12:55 First Runnings - First Runnings: 0.0 gal sparge @ 168.0 °F, 0.0 min; Sparge #1: 2.83 gal sparge @ 180 °F, 0.0 min; Sparge #2: 2.83 gal sparge @ 180 °F, 0.0 min; Total Runoff: 7.87 gal

[size=-1]Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.2[/size]

have you had this beer yet or is it still fermenting/aging? I imagine that it will taste like a piece of chicken that has been in the smoker of doom since the time of the dinosaurs... Kick ass, by the way.
I used some peated malt (is this the same as smoked malt?) to make a clone of Stones Smoked Porter, and I will check when I get home but I am pretty sure that the smoked malt made up less than 5% of the grain bill and it was smokey as hell, in the best way possible of course.

Cheers, keep us posted

also, do you think you can post how you calculate calories unless you did it with software

have you had this beer yet or is it still fermenting/aging? I imagine that it will taste like a piece of chicken that has been in the smoker of doom since the time of the dinosaurs... Kick ass, by the way.
I used some peated malt (is this the same as smoked malt?) to make a clone of Stones Smoked Porter, and I will check when I get home but I am pretty sure that the smoked malt made up less than 5% of the grain bill and it was smokey as hell, in the best way possible of course.

Cheers, keep us posted

also, do you think you can post how you calculate calories unless you did it with software

The keg floated several weeks ago; thankfully I bottled a 12 pack for competitions. Rauchmalt (what I used here) is not the same as peat malt. Rauchmalt is smoked with beechwood and has a subtle and pleasant smokiness. I can't abide peat malt in beer; I find the Stone Smoked Porter completely overbearing and unpleasant.

This is really a rich brown porter overlaid with wood smoke. Think campfire, not single malt scotch.

I'm planning on doing this, per our conversation earlier. My system is based on 70% efficiency. Would I just increase the munich and rauch malt to hit the OG, or just the rauch?

Any suggestions on the water for this?

Back