programmable interval timer? - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > programmable interval timer?

Old 02-04-2009, 11:21 PM   #11
Bokonon
Recipes 

Mar 2007
Tri-Cities, WA
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yermej View Post
Another option that would be a little more work (and involve a computer) is some sort of X10 protocol based equipment (or other home automation protocol like Insteon). You could easily program the computer for any sort of on/off intervals you wanted. It might cost a bit more than $20, but definitely not the $170 you found in my previous link.

Again, it would require a computer, but that could be anywhere in the house as the home automation gizmos use power line and/or RF communication.
This is exactly what I did at some point before I had a stirplate. I think I might have even posted on the forum here about doing it.

Of course I already had the X10 gear and PC with software on it

Old 02-04-2009, 11:56 PM   #12
ScubaSteve
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2007
, DC
Liked 84 Times on 58 Posts

I think the BC460 state machine might work.....

Old 02-05-2009, 12:33 AM   #13
bull8042
I like 'em shaved
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2008
Fort Mill, SC
Liked 452 Times on 448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by menschmaschine View Post
I can't believe it... you of all people to misspell my name!
HAHAHA! With such a fricken judicious use of consonants, what do you expect? I work for a German company and have to deal with the language every single day. Consonants must be dang cheap over there!

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Old 02-05-2009, 12:44 AM   #14
bull8042
I like 'em shaved

Recipes 

Jul 2008
Fort Mill, SC

Kai, I don't see why you couldn't do it cheaply with a couple of timing relays. One relay with a delay on and the other with a delay off. Let me see if I can make this explanation as convoluted as possible..... Relay with a "time off delay" (Relay A), one set of NO contacts powering your valve and a set of NC contacts powering the coil of the other relay. The "other" relay is a "time on delay" (Relay B). A set of NO contacts power the first relay coil.
Adjust "Relay B" to 5 minutes, when the time is up it will close the contacts, thereby powering the coil of "Relay A" and start it's timing cycle. Once relay A (set to 1 min) completes it's cycle, it will switch and close the...... wait a minute. $hit, I am getting into an endless loop here......
I need to draw this out first. Give me a bit.

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

Old 02-05-2009, 01:40 AM   #15
bull8042
I like 'em shaved

Recipes 

Jul 2008
Fort Mill, SC

OK, let's see if I can explain this. Sorry for the crappy drawing, but I just threw it together.
When you apply power, Timer A begins timing. After 5 minutes, it switches "on" and stays on. That will turn on your valve and start the Timer B. After 1 minute, Timer B will change states and both timers will switch off instantaneously, allowing the NC contact "B" to close and start the timing cycle of Timer A again. Both timers are "ON" delay, meaning they will time for their set time before switching....
Is this clear as mud?

Old 02-05-2009, 01:54 AM   #16
babalu87
Recipes 

Feb 2008
Middleborough, MA
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
I believe the Kaiser prefers the Reininhisboat.

I do too.
My thought, besides tradition is why the hell should I pay for something to keep the foaming action of my yeast down when I can just get a bigger fermenter?

Old 02-05-2009, 02:04 AM   #17
bull8042
I like 'em shaved

Recipes 

Jul 2008
Fort Mill, SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by babalu87 View Post
I do too.
My thought, besides tradition is why the hell should I pay for something to keep the foaming action of my yeast down when I can just get a bigger fermenter?
Sure. I ferment my 10 gal batches in one of these and have never had a blowoff yet!

Old 02-05-2009, 12:13 PM   #18
babalu87
Recipes 

Feb 2008
Middleborough, MA
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull8042 View Post
Sure. I ferment my 10 gal batches in one of these and have never had a blowoff yet!

You havent used Wyeast 1007 yet have you

Old 02-05-2009, 03:01 PM   #19
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Jul 2006
State College, Pennsylvania
Liked 206 Times on 167 Posts

I have just what you are looking for. I use mine to run a mister for my houseplants. I have it set to go off for 5 min. about every 1.5 hours during the day. It is digital. I can't remember the brand. I'll check tonight at home. I'd swore I bought it at Lowes, but I don't see it on their website.

I did find this one though at $23
digital timer
Primary: Ger Pils, CAP
Brewing soon: Pale lager, Amer. wheat
Recently kicked : (
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 02-05-2009, 05:10 PM   #20
Kaiser

Recipes 

Nov 2005
Pepperell, MA
Liked 129 Times on 75 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjj2ba View Post
II have it set to go off for 5 min. about every 1.5 hours during the day.
How did you progam this? Did you program the countdown timer or did you program tha actual time of the day when it should go on/off?

Kai