1st runnings for Barleywine / 2nd and 3rd runnings for light beer - Anyone done this? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 1st runnings for Barleywine / 2nd and 3rd runnings for light beer - Anyone done this?

Old 02-04-2009, 06:02 PM   #1
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2008
the sun
Liked 329 Times on 325 Posts

I was on the Anchor Steam website and see that they make their Old Foghorn Barleywine from the first runnings, then turn around and use the second runnings for a smaller, lighter beer. (Anchor Steam - Anchor Small Beer)

Has anyone tried this out. It seems like you would need to be doing a big batch to get a good amount of high gravity wort from your first runnings, but this sounds like a good way to get 2 brews in one per say, keeping the boiling separate that is.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:11 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3198 Times on 1886 Posts

Yes it's called a Parti-Gyle....there's a ton of threads on here, including my own.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/lets...ne-mash-74927/

If you search (or even see if there are any similar threads on the bottom of my thread) you will find a ton of info here. we allwere playing with it in the fall.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-04-2009, 06:14 PM   #3
GilaMinumBeer
Half-fast Prattlarian

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 7688 Times on 6277 Posts

Here's an excellent write up by Mosher with some useful maths to help predict what you make and further frustrate you when you get something different.

BT - Parti-Gyle Brewing

Too bad BT is no longer published. I'd love to have the entire library on pdf.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:25 PM   #4
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Oct 2008
the sun
Liked 329 Times on 325 Posts

ahh... I knew it would be named something strange, thanks.

So it sounds like I need to up the size of my mash/tun to get 2 - 5.5 post boil gallons