Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > holes in my kegs

Old 02-04-2009, 04:28 PM   #1
brewthunda
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default holes in my kegs

So I used to be really into beer back in college . .. then that tapered down to being an occasional/casual drinker. I swear I had six packs that had been sitting in my fridge for over a year. Then in November we finished a basement remodel, which included a kegerator and dual faucet corny setup. First keg - dry in 8 days. Second and third - 2 weeks each. And I'm drinking these mostly by myself. I finally brewed my own right after Christmas. It was ready to drink on January 17 or so. Dry by Feb 1st! Sheesh.

Except for a few late night basement painting sessions where I got hammered while painting (which went surprisingly well) and a little new years party we hosted, I really haven't gotten drunk. So where does it all go? I barely go through bottled beer in between kegs. I swear I must drink 10 times as much drinking draught beer than bottled beer and not realize it.

That's the dark side of kegs I guess - not only do they make storing beer so much easier than bottles, they make drinking it so much easier, too. On Sunday the 1st, I remember thinking to myself "good thing I have like 3.5 gallons left in my corney" just as it went dry. Unbelievable.

That or there are holes in the bottoms of all of my kegs!

Old 02-04-2009, 04:32 PM   #2
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Same think happen to me with my first witbier i made. I swore I had half a keg left. Then I come home an nothing. My keezer is on outside back patio. I swear my neighbors kid must have been stealing some..

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Old 02-04-2009, 04:39 PM   #3
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5574 Times on 4914 Posts
Likes Given: 70

It's definitely the holes. But, they aren't at the bottom.

They are labelled gas-in and gas-out.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:45 PM   #4
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I find it so much easier to put back a few pints when I don't have to watch a dwindling supply of bottles. On top of that, if I don't have to go to the store for every 6/12 pack it's just that much easier. All of that combined with delicious homebrew is a recipe for me to drink more than I did before home brewing took over. On the upside, I'm getting more Vitamin B in my diet and saving the planet by not using bottles!

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 02-04-2009, 04:49 PM   #5
MSUConrad
Recipes 

I thought the same thing with my kegs, and then did the math. 40 pints in a corny keg and average 3 pints a night, gone in under two weeks.

No matter how I add it up, the math still sucks.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:58 PM   #6
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It really goes fast for noobs like me, trying to figure out carbonation levels, line length, proper temp, psi. A little here a little there..poof its gone.

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Old 02-04-2009, 05:00 PM   #7
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2911 Times on 2840 Posts
Likes Given: 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
I find it so much easier to put back a few pints when I don't have to watch a dwindling supply of bottles.
This is the kicker for me as well. I finished my first two kegs in 2 weeks each. No bottles to count, poof it's gone. FWIW they were very low abv's though. I'm about to keg 10 gallons in about a week or two in the mid to high 5% range. Maybe those will last longer.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo's mom

Old 02-04-2009, 05:02 PM   #8
brewthunda
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUConrad View Post
I thought the same thing with my kegs, and then did the math. 40 pints in a corny keg and average 3 pints a night, gone in under two weeks.

No matter how I add it up, the math still sucks.
Then factor in the fact that I like to drink from 19 oz or 22 oz pilsner glasses and the math just gets worse and worse.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:15 PM   #9
TJ-Bill
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
I find it so much easier to put back a few pints when I don't have to watch a dwindling supply of bottles. On top of that, if I don't have to go to the store for every 6/12 pack it's just that much easier. All of that combined with delicious homebrew is a recipe for me to drink more than I did before home brewing took over. On the upside, I'm getting more Vitamin B in my diet and saving the planet by not using bottles!
Same here. I used to get a case or 2 on the weekends and have a few left over, I'd pace myself during the week from how many I had left over. Now with the keg it's an easy 2-3 a night unless I have friends over or I'm working on something in the basement then it's more..

I think the solution is just to brew more so the pipe line is always full.. yeah.. seems like a plan..

Primary: Double Oatmeal Stout
Primary: Red Ale
Primary: German Ale
Primary: Empty

Kegged: Smoked Ale
Kegged: Spring Pilsner
Kegged: Apfelwein
Kegged: Swamp

Bottled: Irish Maple Cream

On deck: IPA

Old 02-04-2009, 05:23 PM   #10
madewithchicken
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My kegerator is in the basement where my dog sleeps. I figured Wiggles developed a taste for beer. She is old and blind so if she wants to be drunk I figure I will let her.

But now I have to look at my kegs for holes.

I probably will not be around much anymore. I had to close my restaurant and get a real job so i do not have the time to hang out online all day.

Check out my videos on my profile or at:

1920fairfax.com Just voted the worst show on the internet.