Can I transfer to my secondary if..... - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Can I transfer to my secondary if.....

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2009, 02:09 AM   #1
dsoto75
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Posts: 35
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts



Good evening all,

I wondering if I can transfer my beer from the primary to the secondary if there is still activity in the airlock? She'll burp every 15 seconds or so, after being in there for about 7 days now. I want to move it to my carboy and leave it there for about 2 weeks before bottling, but I didnt know if I should wait till the airlock shows no activity. I'm most likely gonna wait till Sunday or so to transfer it over if its ok anyway. I'd really like to get another batch started, so if I can move it, that would be good news....i'm kinda addictited to brewing beer now

thanks for the input.

dave



 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:23 AM   #2
ifishsum
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Portland OR
Posts: 1,447
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts


I would wait at least 10 days, then take a gravity reading before you rack it. If it's at or very very near your expected FG then go ahead, if not then wait a few more days. You do want it to be finished before moving to secondary.

You really can't tell if a beer is finished by what the airlock is doing, but you can tell if it isn't...still bubbling, leave it be a while longer.


__________________
"If you're gonna be an ape, be a hairy one" - Spyder

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:24 AM   #3
bobbyw
Recipes 
 
Feb 2009
Posts: 10

I remember wondering a similar thing, and I asked the guys at my LHBS. They said to wait until there is no activity. But depending on style etc, I think it can go either way. I think the general sentiment is if you are wondering if you should do something or wait, the answer is wait.

good luck with your batch

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:57 AM   #4
XXguy
Recipes 
 
Dec 2008
Southeastern PA
Posts: 1,118
Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts


Get another fermenter - get brewing your next batch & build a pipeline.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:33 AM   #5
Kungpaodog
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Lafayette, CO
Posts: 494
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


You should really go with what the hydrometer tells you. Listen to the hydrometer. The hydrometer is your friend. But if you really start hearing it say things, call a professional.

Airlock activity is a good indicator of what is happening, but it isn't the most accurate. I've always waited at least two weeks in the primary, so let it go a bit longer.


__________________
Kelpie Home Brewery, Lafayette Colorado
Primary: Creek Dog Stout x2, Two Dogs IPA, Grinning Kelpie Wheat
Secondary: empty :(
In Bottles: Belgian Wheat

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
secondary transfer Zorbarose Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 20 11-04-2009 07:19 PM
? about my transfer to secondary 1st ever WayneTree Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 02-18-2009 02:33 PM
transfer to secondary FEARDIZ Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 10-22-2007 09:17 PM
Transfer to secondary BlendieOfIndie Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 8 09-30-2007 01:50 AM
Transfer to Secondary?? mayday1019 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 04-09-2006 12:29 AM


Forum Jump