Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > how to properly use belgian candi sugar?

Old 02-03-2009, 09:48 PM   #1
bell0347
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default how to properly use belgian candi sugar?

Can light belgian candi sugar be used to replace cane sugar 1:1 in a recipe or is there a big difference in fermentability and taste? Should it be added early in boil or after? It would be used in formulating a dark belgian ale recipe I found in a book. I am going for a noticeable sweetness but not offensively sweet. Just right sweet! Recipe calls for 1lb. table sugar in the boil(I am assuming because there is nothing to the contrary).

"Hell, it aint rocket surgery"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
Beer should never enter a septic system until it's had a trip through the kidneys first. :D

Old 02-03-2009, 10:44 PM   #2
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 40 Posts

If you are using light candi sugar, don't waste your money. In the end its no better than table sugar, and its not truly an invert sugar. I think people seem to believe that "If its not Belgian, its Crap!"

I know Jamil calls for a pound of table sugar in his Tripel.

Dark candi sugar on the other hand isn't a waste since it brings its own flavors to the table.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:59 PM   #3
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5846 Times on 5084 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Are we talking real Candi Sugar? The inverted syrup or the rock crap that gets pawned off as Belgian.

Theres a difference. The typical rock stuf is just crystalized, sometime carmalized, sucrose or refine table sugar.

the syrup is actully inverted or hydrolized sucrose which has reduced it to monsaccharides.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:02 PM   #4
buckeyebrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I thought that real candi sugar was made from beets? Beet sugar.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:08 PM   #5
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

The stuff the Belgian's use is carmalized. (Which is NOT the same as using caramel chunks).

That said, I dumped in a bunch of rock candy and I beleive, becasue it took longer to disolve and was sitting at the bottom where it was hot, since it was heavy, that the boil carmalized some of the sugar anyway.

There are different ways that sugar can be carmalized. One way is the type the Monks use. I have a book somewhere with all that brewing goodness explained in it, but I just moved and have no idea where it is.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Old 02-04-2009, 06:36 PM   #6
jkarp
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell0347 View Post
Can light belgian candi sugar be used to replace cane sugar 1:1 in a recipe or is there a big difference in fermentability and taste? Should it be added early in boil or after? It would be used in formulating a dark belgian ale recipe I found in a book. I am going for a noticeable sweetness but not offensively sweet. Just right sweet! Recipe calls for 1lb. table sugar in the boil(I am assuming because there is nothing to the contrary).
Save your money and use regular sugar (cane or beet). Add it early in the boil so it has time to invert in the acidic wort. Then you'll have the same result as the pre-inverted Belgian candi.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:47 PM   #7
BeerPressure
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The good dark candi: Dark Belgian Candi Syrup - 16 oz. :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

works great in dubbels