Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Small Leak in Primary Ferm. Spigot

Old 02-02-2009, 11:17 PM   #1
minger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Small Leak in Primary Ferm. Spigot

Hi guys, on my second brew, first is in the bottles. Over the weekend, I started my second (clone of Dogfish Head 60 min IPA). Everything went relatively well except for some slight hop measurement problems.

Anyways, I have a small leak in my primary fermenter at the spigot. Its a pretty small leak in the gaskets, but I'm concerned about contamination because getting all the ingredients was kind of expensive. Anyways, is this something I should be concerned about, and if so, what can I do to help prevent problems?

Old 02-02-2009, 11:39 PM   #2
nosmatt
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

rack it to anothe vessel, and fix the leak. it will get worse when the ferm starts going off. i had a tiny leak in a bottling bucket, lost about half a beer worth, so no biggee, but 2-3 weeks? thats gonna lose alotta beer.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:45 PM   #3
bennychico11
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

go get a bucket that doesn't have a spigot. When I got my kit it came with a spigot too...and I soon realized that anything that might bump the spigot would cause it to come loose enough to start a leak.

Primary: Mexican Cerveza
Primary: Chimay Blue clone
Bottled Fox Hound Irish Red
Bottled: Blue Moon clone from AHB
Bottled: Unnamed Stout
Next up: Mexican Cerveza

Old 02-03-2009, 01:50 AM   #4
minger
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosmatt View Post
rack it to anothe vessel, and fix the leak. it will get worse when the ferm starts going off. i had a tiny leak in a bottling bucket, lost about half a beer worth, so no biggee, but 2-3 weeks? thats gonna lose alotta beer.
I only plan on it being in the primary for a week, then its going into the secondary with the dry hops. So aside from losing a little beer, I shouldn't worry about contamination?

Old 02-03-2009, 02:34 AM   #5
nakros
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I wouldn't think it would cause contamination... If beer is getting pushed out... Nothing should be sucked in.

*EDIT: Although I do shed a tear for the lost beer. You may curse yourself a few months/years down the road if this turns out to be your best batch ever .

Old 02-03-2009, 12:53 PM   #6
minger
Recipes 

[quote=nakros;1108547]I wouldn't think it would cause contamination... If beer is getting pushed out... Nothing should be sucked in.[quote]
That is kind of what I was thinking. The drip is very slow, I don't plan on losing much at all. Thanks for the advice guys.