Side-By-Side Kegerator? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators & Keezers > Side-By-Side Kegerator?

Old 02-02-2009, 05:14 AM   #1
SirHopsALot
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Chicago

I have a side-by-side type refrigerator and was wondering if it's even worth converting to a kegerator (instead of tossing it in the trash). The usable inner dimensions of the fridge section are 17"D x 14.5"W x 58.5"H, while the freezer section is only 17"D x 12"W x 58.5"H. How many cornies should I be able to fit inside the fridge section? Also, is it feasible to also put taps on the freezer section for dispensing such drinks as Gewürztraminer and the like (maybe a gravity feed for the bottles)?

I am seriously considering trashing this thing and just getting a large chest freezer, but if it is worth converting I will reconsider.

Prost!

Old 02-02-2009, 05:17 AM   #2
TimSTi
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Staten Island, NY
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The fact you already possess it makes it worth it in my opinion. Get a temp controller for the freezer section and you could rig up a kegerator/fermenting chamber all in one.

Primary1:Empty
Primary2: Cream of 3 Crops 2/2
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: Red Ale 11/23 - Imperial Winter Ale 1/5 - Orange/Cascade PA 2/16
Next Up: American Bock - Apfelwein

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S. Thompson

Old 02-02-2009, 05:45 AM   #3
Trenchant
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Regina, Saskatchewan

I've measured my cornies to be 9" wide and 27" high on the larger side. They are a bit smaller but that size is as small as I plan to go for convenience. They measure 8.5" x 25".

If you put a shelf in the middle of the fridge you would be able to have 2 levels and hold quite a few kegs. You might even be able to rip out the center divider in the fridge? They might have a coolant line in the middle. That would be something to check.

I would definately keep it. I was actually looking at buying a split door.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:07 AM   #4
frolickingmonkey
Recipes 

Sep 2008
Whatcom County, WA

Trenchant's brain is pretty much where I'm at, too... You ought to be able to fit 4 or maybe more kegs per side using a shelf at mid height.
Bottled: Delicious Bottled Beer and Cider

Old 02-02-2009, 06:40 AM   #5
SirHopsALot
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Chicago

You bring much joy to my life with these statements...

Is there any way that I can add wine (preferably bottles) to this tap system as well?

Old 02-02-2009, 04:41 PM   #6
TJ-Bill
Recipes 

Oct 2008

I'm using a side by side. works great.

Primary: Double Oatmeal Stout
Primary: Red Ale
Primary: German Ale
Primary: Empty

Kegged: Smoked Ale
Kegged: Spring Pilsner
Kegged: Apfelwein