Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Removing labels from beer bottles.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:34 PM   #51
JRL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I have found that Sapporo labels come off very easy. There is a local brewery here that I save a lot of bottles from that are a pain. Use a little steel wool after a soak and they are good to go. I am using almost all 22oz bottles now.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:51 PM   #52
Native302
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Try elbow grease, I've heard that works wonders.

Just buy a small swimming pool, throw everything in and mash it. Then open ferment in another swimming pool with all the yeast.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:09 PM   #53
Slurm
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Soak in a sink full of OxyClean and hot water, peel labels off, scrub any remaining residue, rinse well.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:41 PM   #54
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2967 Times on 2561 Posts
Likes Given: 2091

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad-Rabbit View Post
I boil a 6 pack at a time for about 10 mintues. If the label doesn't fall off in the water I use a semi rigid piece of plastic like a gift card and scrape off the rest. But then you still need to remove the glue from the bottle. For that use a copper pan scrubbie. After a few good shakes with the scrubbie wipe it clean with a towel and it is ready.

BTW- The bottles will be hot-hot-hot when you take them from the water so use tongs to remove them and a thick towel to hold them. Try not to get the towel to wet or the heat will transfer quickly to your hands.
I boiled 2.5G of water in a 3G stock pot,dunking 3-4 bottles at a time. Within 8-12 seconds,the Paulaner labels come right off! The Michelob amber bock labels take a couple of mins max. I did some 39 bottles in 30 mins before having to stop & top off the boiling pot.
I sit on a stool at the stove with tongs in hand,bottle tree on a chair on my left,& let the boiling water do all the work. I not only get label free bottles in seconds,but clean as a whistle too! And didn't have to scrape a single one. No chemicals either! Thanx for the perfect solution,rad!!!

Old 03-17-2011, 07:37 PM   #55
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Well, this is one of those threads where I say "I use PBW," and then someone chimes in and says "PBW is too expensive, you should use Oxi-Clean" and I say "My water is too hard, Oxi-Clean will leave a white film on the bottle, so I'm gonna keep on using PBW." There. That should save some posts.

Also- all bottles are not created equal. Saranac bottles are a bitch, Sam Adams are (as detailed in earlier posts) easy. I think there may be a post somewhere with a list of hard & easy labels. Easiest bottles are those that have peel-off or shrink-on labels. Guinness bottles are a dream. Just slice off the shrink-on label, and use a pair of needle-nose pliers to pull out the plastic spaceship inside. Two Brothers are peel-off, also easy.

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:43 PM   #56
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Some of these methods require TOO MUCH WORK!
(however, to each his own. Perhaps some LIKE scrubbing....)

go easy. PBW or Oxyclean. toss 'em into a bucket, dishpan, whatever.
walk away.

later, when so inclined, pick them up and discard the floating labels.
Rinse.

done.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:05 PM   #57
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2967 Times on 2561 Posts
Likes Given: 2091

I've noticed the US micro brew labels are a PITA to cook loose. They've been cookin for about 15mins now. gunna go check'em...Well,they've cooked for 15-18 mins now,& I still had to scrape & curse to get the US micro brew labels off. But,I guess an hour to go through some 4 cases isn't too bad. Most were easy peasy!
I think this way is the easiest,quickest way. The boiling water does all the work. And I get to do something connected with brewing.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:53 PM   #58
Naz
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I know it sounds completely mad, but a bench grinder with a wire wheel works wonders on stubborn labels. Soak them for about a day to minimize paper "dust" and put just enough pressure on the bottle to take the label off - not much. I'll try to do a quick vid in the near future.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:51 PM   #59
iX_Xi
Paid Supporter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Getting old labels off bottles...

I soak them in bath tub w/ a scoop of Oxy. I do 50 bottles at a crack. Let them sit in the solution for 2hrs. Some labels fall off w/o any help (New Glarus), other lables need some finger nail help, some need a flat razor scraper.

Last phase is to rub them down with a scotch-brite scrubbie. No glue residue.

--james

Old 11-30-2011, 10:27 PM   #60
freflyr
Recipes 

I know people gonna laugh...but ... I rinse as i drink any bottles and then.. when about a 12 pack, fill bottles with hot water as I fill the sink..then cap and no hassels about cleaning the inside of glue and oxiclean...soak in oxiclean for a few hours and it is the easiest thing ever... steel wool uncap..drain.. like new and so easy..