Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Should I Listen???

Old 01-30-2009, 07:59 PM   #11
MassMark
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dances View Post
Help!!!

This is only my 6th post - still waiting for my first batch to finish fermentation and I am already addicted to this site.

You guys (oops...and girls) know far too much to take in this early in my addiction!

I cannot make my mind up whether to ferment for a looooong time or try just 2 weeks and then get it in a keg (it is a cheap lager kit - a present given as part of a kit) or to wait longer like most of you seem to suggest.

I am tempted to do the shorter so that I can do my next brew longer and see for myself what the difference is.

What do you think? Am I too impatient and approaching regret?
I've been having a blast reading on here and looking at other folks brew set-ups - I need to start taking notes on all that's here.

I too started with a brew kit and I let mine ride. I began the process Christmas Day and didn't bottle for 3-weeks. Mine has been sitting in bottles since the 15th and is going for a cool down next week...My test sample out of the keg after 2 weeks and out of a bottle a couple of days ago was very, very encouraging....Perhaps add a week to the recommended time?

Old 01-30-2009, 08:04 PM   #12
starrfish
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 25

buy a second 6.5 gallon plastic bucket type fermenter for about $12.50. If you get the urge to brew and you already have one going... NO PROB! break out tank 2! (LOL just got my second bucket delivered today!)

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 01-31-2009, 07:03 PM   #13
dances
Recipes 

Just got back to read the new posts on this thread since yesterday and I think from the comments I have recieved I might just have to invest in another fermenter and do another brew.
Just been to the shops to buy some beer for tonight which really hurt when I have just checked my first batch which is now at SG 1.006 and smelling REALLY good - man I cannot wait.
Orfy - I am just randomly shopping on the net as there are no shops around here that I know of that sell homebrew gear and before I start using grain I am going to have to do some serious revision on this site as I have no idea what to do.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:12 PM   #14
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 683 Times on 504 Posts
Likes Given: 135

Dances, there is a Brit club in this forum. It hasn't taken off yet, but what the hell. Maybe we can stick the heart shock thingys on it.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:29 PM   #15
dances
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
Dances, there is a Brit club in this forum. It hasn't taken off yet, but what the hell. Maybe we can stick the heart shock thingys on it.
Oh well - it had to come soon

Old 01-31-2009, 11:40 PM   #16
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 30

At 1006 it's done.

Try to aim for 1008-1010 if you can. It's gonna have more body.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:50 PM   #17
bell0347
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

If I'm not mistaken you said it was a lager kit? If so, then you would definitley benefit from letting it sit longer I think, unless you used ale yeast. But, I know it's hard to let that stuff sit long!

"Hell, it aint rocket surgery"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
Beer should never enter a septic system until it's had a trip through the kidneys first. :D