I'm a noob, but this mistake just pisses me off! - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > I'm a noob, but this mistake just pisses me off!

Old 01-30-2009, 03:19 AM   #1
NewBrew75
Recipes 

Dec 2008
Kansas City, MO
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've brewed about ten or twelve batches now, so I thought I've learned enough to try out a new beer. Because of the cost and long brew to drink time, I wanted to make sure that everything went perfectly during this brew day. Today I made a Rochefort 10 clone that I invested the last three weeks on the recipe. Recently I bought one of those tea steeping balls to use for hops. (Im betting seasoned brewers already know this outcome) I packed the ball with two ounces of bittering pellet hops, then thew it in at the start of the boil. Everything went fine for the rest of the day, until the end, when I opened the damn steeping ball! I had a brick of f**king hops that never saw boiling wort at all! C'MON!!!! It looked like the s**tty ass weed I smoked in high school. (for the record I don't smoke now) I know I'm smart enough to know that was a stupid decision, I've seen how pellet hops expand when you throw them in hot wort. But why the hell did I have to miss this detail?? According to Beersmith, this cut my IBU in about half. Im crossing my fingers, but I don't have much hope. I think I might sit on this beer for the next six months only to be disappointed. Guess I'll start another. Don't do the same stupid s**t I did.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:24 AM   #2
McKBrew

Recipes 

Oct 2006
Hayden, Idaho
Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts

Positive way to look at it. It'll still be beer and it'll still be good, but different. You might look into some of those unique hopping techniques like boiling hops in water or using a french press to extract some more bitterness and aroma and add that mix into the fermenter, or just enjoy it the way it is.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:26 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3198 Times on 1886 Posts

Sorry.

I don't even use a hop bag any more, just dump them all in, and after chilling carefully just rack leaving everything behind...sometimes I dump to a bucket strainer, but just as often I have dumped the kettle right into the fermenter...I've never had an issue with hoptrub...

But you still made beer.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-30-2009, 03:45 AM   #4
NewBrew75
Recipes 

Dec 2008
Kansas City, MO
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks guys,

I can say one thing, that tea ball when straight to the trash. I'd guess it's only good for about a half ounce of hops, which at that point, I may as well just dump them in!

Old 01-30-2009, 03:48 AM   #5
gplutt

Recipes 

Oct 2008
Seattle
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBrew75 View Post
Thanks guys,

I can say one thing, that tea ball when straight to the trash. I'd guess it's only good for about a half ounce of hops, which at that point, I may as well just dump them in!
You could have used it for dry-hopping in kegs, I think

Barrelled: Oregon Group Brew Stout
Long term Secondary: Fool's Gold Barleywine
Next: Bohemian Pilsener

Old 01-30-2009, 03:49 AM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan

If you don't want a lot of hopscum, there is plans for a suspended hopbag doohickey in our DIY section....I think it's one of biermuncher's inventions.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-30-2009, 03:52 AM   #7
McKBrew

Recipes 

Oct 2006
Hayden, Idaho
Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
If you don't want a lot of hopscum, there is plans for a suspended hopbag doohickey in our DIY section....I think it's one of biermuncher's inventions.
Nope, that honor would belong to Lil Sparky, as in http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/lil-...tha-man-40738/

Old 01-30-2009, 03:53 AM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
Nope, that honor would belong to Lil Sparky, as in http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/lil-...tha-man-40738/
Are you sure??? Sadly the pics in that thread are down...

Old 01-30-2009, 03:59 AM   #9
brewmasterpa

Recipes 

Jan 2009
orange, ca
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

i would try the french press method in the secondary. usually i just throw all the kids in the pool, right on into the boiling wort. then strain it out before the fermenter. i used to not strain and found out very early on that 2 inches or trub causes stuck fermentation. try throwing that curve ball to yourself when youre first learning.

You like fishsticks, what are you, a gay fish?

Old 01-30-2009, 04:14 AM   #10
NewBrew75
Recipes 

Dec 2008
Kansas City, MO
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'll need to look into the french press method. But what about boiling some hops in a small batch of wort, then adding that to the fermentor?