Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Stockpot Sizes

Old 01-29-2009, 06:49 AM   #1
azkid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Stockpot Sizes

I know it's probably been answered here already, but what is the smallest size of pot that you would recommend for a partial boil? There seems to be a significant price jump in pots from the 14/16 quart size to the 20 quart size I see recommend most often.

Is 16 quarts enough to do a partial boil, or is 20 quarts pretty much required to avoid potential boil over?

Old 01-29-2009, 12:09 PM   #2
Grinder12000
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I used a 16q pot and watched it carefully. You can find larger pots for $20 though at walmart. Just watch out for the hot breaks and be ready to lift it off the burner a few times.

In fact I use two 16q pots for "full boils" when it's -15F in the garage and I can't use a REAL full boil.

138 batches and counting

European IPA bottled, One Putt 12 IPA carbing. East Indian Porter on tap. Looking into a Saffon Beer

Old 01-29-2009, 02:55 PM   #3
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Look for cheap stock or canning pots. I find these are often cheaper than the smaller ones because they are made of thinner material. I have often seen stainless steel 20qt stock pots for between $20 and $30.

You can make 16qt work but you will have to be very careful to avoid a boil over.

Or you can buy a turkey fryer that includes a 30qt pot. These are usually $50 and can often be found for $40. Then you can do full boils on a burner with plenty of power. Also boil overs become much less of an issue.

Craig

Old 01-29-2009, 02:59 PM   #4
T-rags
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I got a stainless steel 20 quart, $30 after $10 rebate, at JCPenney. Pretty nice pot too. If you look around, you will find something. I'm only a noob but I researched this and the consensus seems to be, (unless you are going turkey fryer w/ aluminum pot) the 20 quart is a much better option, just keep looking for the right deal.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:08 PM   #5
1stTimer
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

T-rags. I got the same thing for the same price at the same place. Its working great for me so far.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:22 PM   #6
kendrid
Recipes 

I've used a 16qt two times now and not had any issues with boil over. Of course I have to stand there the entire hour and watch it but it did work.

I am now looking at the 35qt turkey fryer to move outside and do full boils.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:36 PM   #7
Limited Visibility
Recipes 

Try this or you can use a spray bottle with a fine mist and squirt a couple of times to help against boil overs. I use a 16qt also, but I have found the perfect place to set the burner knob... somehow it works every time.

Also... nice to see another one from my area

Old 01-29-2009, 03:48 PM   #8
The Blow Leprechaun
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I use a 16 qt pot and haven't had a boil over. I only have to stand there til the hot break, after that it's fine.

Keep in mind that 16qt or 20qt - you're eventually going to need to replace it either way to get to a full boil (or get a second pot as some do), so I wouldn't agonize over the decision.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:00 PM   #9
TJ-Bill
Recipes 

I Just scored a Brand new turkey Fryer kit for $40. Keep your Eyes on CL one's bound to pop up..

Primary: Double Oatmeal Stout
Primary: Red Ale
Primary: German Ale
Primary: Empty

Kegged: Smoked Ale
Kegged: Spring Pilsner
Kegged: Apfelwein
Kegged: Swamp

Bottled: Irish Maple Cream

On deck: IPA

Old 01-29-2009, 06:31 PM   #10
azkid
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blow Leprechaun View Post
Keep in mind that 16qt or 20qt - you're eventually going to need to replace it either way to get to a full boil (or get a second pot as some do), so I wouldn't agonize over the decision.
Yeah, that's one of the reasons I didn't want to spend $40-$50 on a 20qt stainless-steel stockpot. That'd be like 25% of my total equipment cost, on a friggin pot that'd be upgraded eventually anyways (assuming I stay with the hobby).

I was avoiding aluminum before, but after reading some threads here, I realize now it's not so bad. I feel comfortable I can get a 20qt aluminum pot for ~$20, and that's a lot more reasonable.

I'm trying to keep my initial equipment cost as far under $200 as I can, and a stainless steel pot can blow that budget pretty easily.

Thanks for all your help guys. Hopefully I can brew my first batch in the next few days.