Trouble capping 16.9 oz bottles! Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fightguy

Reaction score
I have a ton of Black Boss Porter bottles, as well as numerous Zwyeick Porter bottles that I am trying to reuse for my homebrew. The beer is bottled, but I now can't get the caps on securely. I bought the 29mm caps and the bell for my Red Baron Capper, but no combination of caps/bell seems to fit correctly. What do you guys recommend?

Probably too late to help you out. I think those bottles take regular crown caps, but from a look at the pictures I doubt they would work with a hand capper.

6561.jpg

If you notice the little lip the capper grabs on to below the lip is really high up on these bottles, so you probably won't be able to get it to crimp on the cap. You'll need to use a bench capper for that style of bottle.

I had a similar problem with those bottles. I got the caps on, but it took lots of work and a little extra leverage, plus some bent caps. Some of them didn't look too great on the bottles, but they held up fine. Since then, I've given up on those bottles and am now bottling in 22 oz. bottles. Too bad, since some of those Polish beers are good and I like to reuse whenever possible.

Back