My beer is now bubbling..One more question. - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My beer is now bubbling..One more question.

Old 06-06-2006, 09:31 PM   #1
ArkParty
Recipes 

Jun 2006

Thanks everybody for you replies yesterday.

It turns out everybody who replied was right. My beer started fermenting in earnest at hour 28. I just have one more question. The fermenting was so vigarous that my airlock had a bit of an overflow. I removed the airlock and attached a sanitized blowoff tube and placed the other end in a jar. Was this the wrong move? I was told that the whole fermentation process should be isolated from the outside air. Yet I read somewhere else that if you get an overflow in the first three days that you should attach a blowoff tube.

Am I right to be worried about contamination with blow off tubes????

-ArkParty

Old 06-06-2006, 10:02 PM   #2
Darth Konvel

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Columbus, OH
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As long as you sanitized everything, you should be good to go. I always use a blow off tube. Just a big 1" tube jammed into the mouth of the carboy running down into leftover sanitizing solution in one of the buckets I use.

Old 06-07-2006, 01:07 AM   #3
gruntingfrog
Recipes 

May 2006
Dallas, Texas

The loose end of tube needs to be under water to keep air from coming in, although I think a bigger container than this should be used.

Up Next: Belgian Dubbel, English Pale Ale
Fermenter 1: Blonde Ale Experiment 1 | Fermenter 2: Blonde Ale Experiment 2 | Fermenter 3: Northern English Brown | Fermenter 4: Nothing
Keg 1: Nothing | Keg 2: Nothing | Keg 3: Nothing
Bottled: Nothing

Old 06-07-2006, 01:46 AM   #4
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Dec 2005
Farmington
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntingfrog
The loose end of tube needs to be under water to keep air from coming in, although I think a bigger container than this should be used.

Or at least a rubber band or something to keep the tube from getting out of the water. Can't see anything wrong in the setup though

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Old 06-07-2006, 03:24 AM   #5
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Liked 131 Times on 98 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Snob
Or at least a rubber band or something to keep the tube from getting out of the water. Can't see anything wrong in the setup though
I can...How do you carry that carboy off of the cement driveway?

I have all my carboys in milk crates (w/several layers of carboard in the bottom of the crate for cushioning)...just trying to help...

Old 06-07-2006, 07:23 AM   #6
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Dec 2005
Farmington
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
I can...How do you carry that carboy off of the cement driveway?

I have all my carboys in milk crates (w/several layers of carboard in the bottom of the crate for cushioning)...just trying to help...
Yeah, I've been thinking about that. So far I've been puting the carboy on a rubbermaid top and slidding it from the kitchen to the living room. Needs something that works better certainly. Might try the milkcrate next time. In Brew Ware" they show a simple setup with some wood and casters on the bottom... seems easy enough.

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Old 06-07-2006, 03:10 PM   #7
gruntingfrog
Recipes 

May 2006
Dallas, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
How do you carry that carboy off of the cement driveway?
I actually have no idea. That's not my setup. I just found the picture on the internet somewhere so I could post an example.

Maybe the guy has telekinetic powers!!!

Up Next: Belgian Dubbel, English Pale Ale
Fermenter 1: Blonde Ale Experiment 1 | Fermenter 2: Blonde Ale Experiment 2 | Fermenter 3: Northern English Brown | Fermenter 4: Nothing
Keg 1: Nothing | Keg 2: Nothing | Keg 3: Nothing
Bottled: Nothing

Old 06-07-2006, 05:17 PM   #8
chask31
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Apr 2006
New York
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I just lift my carboy bare handed...is that a bad idea as long as my hands are dry? One hand on the bottom and one on the neck.
Tap #1: Cucumber Honey Wheat Ale
Tap #2: Rye Ale
Primary #1: empty
Primary #2: empty
On Deck: Wit

Old 06-07-2006, 07:16 PM   #9
chillHayze

Recipes 

Mar 2006
Columbus OH
Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chask31
I just lift my carboy bare handed...is that a bad idea as long as my hands are dry? One hand on the bottom and one on the neck.
That's what I do, but I only carry it about 6 feet from the closet to the kitchen. If I had to go farther or up/down stairs I would invenst in a carboy carrier to avoid stirring up the junk on the bottom that I have waited so long to settle out!

Old 06-07-2006, 11:50 PM   #10
kornkob
Resident Crazy Uncle
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Madison WI
Liked 20 Times on 12 Posts

I buy the carboy carriers that are a 'net' of nylon straps. Easy to use, not very expensive and does a really good job of dispersing the weight/aiding in control even walking up and down stairs.

I wanna move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.