Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How to clean boil over off of the stove
Old 01-28-2009, 03:05 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default How to clean boil over off of the stove

I have an enamel stove. Lucky me, I had some boil over. Tried everything to clean the stove without scratching the enamel. Tried Oxy clean, vinegar, etc.

Final solution was Mothers Body Clay.

Mothers® California Gold® Clay Bar System

I use it to get boot marks off of my motorcycle pipes, remove nasty stuff from the car finish, etc. Works great, doesn't scratch your finish (but requires a lot of elbow greese)

Anybody have any other suggestions?

I like beer!
Old 01-28-2009, 03:52 AM   #2
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have a standard electric stove with coils, and I just wipe up any boil over off of the top when it happens so that it doesn't dry. I gave up on keeping the drip pans clean a long time ago. I might replace them some day.
Kelpie Home Brewery, Lafayette Colorado
Primary: Creek Dog Stout x2, Two Dogs IPA, Grinning Kelpie Wheat
Secondary: empty :(
In Bottles: Belgian Wheat
Old 01-28-2009, 04:16 AM   #3
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I have one of the enamel stoves too. Boil overs are a b***h and SWMBO told me that I'll have to find another source of heat if I don't clean the stove up. Thankfully, the boil-overs are become less frequent - I'm getting better at brewing and have realized the folly of getting smashed and brewing.

First, I use a mild abrasive cleaner like Vim (uhh . . . I live in Canada - do they have Vim in the U.S.?). Anyhoo, after I get off what I can with that, I use on of my kitchen knives at a 30 degree angle to gradually scrap the rest off. I haven't scratched the top whatsoever. I never get everything off, but it does a damn good job.

Just my two bits.