Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Added more yeast

Old 01-28-2009, 12:36 AM   #1
hookturn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Added more yeast

I just put up my 1st batch. Sat.24th. Today 27 still no action. I used Muntons dry yeast. everything sanitized etc. put it in a cup with some clean water at 75 degrees, let it set for 10-15 min. added some cooled wort, while my wort was cooling. I saw a few tiny bubbles before I pitched it. Today still nothing, so I took a package of Coopers that came with the IPA I'm making, dissolved it and pitched it. when I opened the bucket there was very little foam on top. When I transfered it from my boil kettle to the bucket I poured it from about 3-4' up so I thought that should get the oxy in. Anyway, I pitched another package of yeast and put on the lid and rocked it a bit to mix the yeast in and the foam shot up into the airlock and now it's bubbling away. I think it just needed a stir. Will the extra yeast do any damage?
Thanks,

Old 01-28-2009, 12:43 AM   #2
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

No, it will not do any damage. Next time take a hydrometer reading before you do anything. You may have had fermentation without knowing it because you can't count on the airlock to tell you anything. They lie a lot.

Welcome to HBT!

Old 01-28-2009, 01:53 AM   #3
hookturn
Recipes 

Thanks, I forgot to take a reading! I also used unboiled tap water to add the new yeast, I know better, hope I get lucky