Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Da Yooper's House Pale Ale

Old 04-04-2014, 02:04 PM   #571
geoffm33
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 191

The bad news is that I got terrible mash efficiency (BIAB). I was in a rush and I milled my grains with a faster speed than I usually do on my drill + corona mill. So my pre boil gravity was off by 5 points. I didn't have any DME to compensate so I rolled with it.

EDIT: Removed general brewing related questions, will start new thread. Thanks!

Old 04-05-2014, 11:40 AM   #572
ballsy
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by WavePuckRiker View Post
Yes! Came out very nice. It tastes "cleaner", or "crisper".....but that could be a variation in the fermentation from my previous batch.

I would also say that the Patagonia has more malt flavor. The color appears to be the same....I need to start taking pics to compare.
Nice! I may have to try that version next!
Primary#1
Primary#2: Bells Two Hearted clone
On deck: Pyramid Apricot Ale clone, grapefruit sculpin IPA clone
Keg 1:Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA clone
Keg 2:
Keg 3:

Old 04-05-2014, 07:13 PM   #573
Wulfman
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Made about ten batches of this recipe using grain bill! Love it! I have a imperial style going on right now on, OG 1.102! First beer this big! Using citra Amarillo and galena! Thanks Yoop!
Click image for larger version

Name:	1396725220313.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	191160  
Yooper Likes This 
Old 04-05-2014, 09:20 PM   #574
Stormbringer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Mine finished up 2 weeks ago. I have had a few pints and it is really nice. I will definitely make it again.

Old 04-12-2014, 01:51 AM   #575
HopSong

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I finally tried this one today. I cut all the ingredients in half as I was doing a 2.5g batch. Wow.. was I off on my OG by a TON. I did this as a BIAB.. only my 2nd BIAB brew. I preheated the MT with 160* water and mashed in the 4.5# of grain with 165* adjusted water. Couldn't believe it.. Temp dropped to 145*.. So I pulled some weak wort and heated to 170*. I did this twice and got it to 154*. However, after 1 hour of mashing with 6.75 qts of water and sparging with 168* water and going thru my 1 hour boil, I only came up with a gravity of 1.032. This is the worst I've ever done.. by far. Worse yet, I cooled the wort before checking. So, I put it back into the BK and added enough DME to bring it up to 1.055.. just short of Yoopers OG. Part of my issue was I had FAR less boil off than I usually do. Change in BK and possibly not as vigorous a boil as usual. It's now in the fermenter. We'll see how it turns out.

Next time, I'm going to check my numbers the BIAB calculator before progressing. I only lost 3/4gal in this boil and usually have double that... argghhh. Nothing like a change in process.

The first time I did a BIAB, I used the calculator at BIAB and it came out perfect. Have NO idea why this one didn't . This made for a L O N G brew day.

Old 04-12-2014, 01:58 AM   #576
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6070 Times on 4320 Posts
Likes Given: 1559

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopSong View Post
I finally tried this one today. I cut all the ingredients in half as I was doing a 2.5g batch. Wow.. was I off on my OG by a TON. I did this as a BIAB.. only my 2nd BIAB brew. I preheated the MT with 160* water and mashed in the 4.5# of grain with 165* adjusted water. Couldn't believe it.. Temp dropped to 145*.. So I pulled some weak wort and heated to 170*. I did this twice and got it to 154*. However, after 1 hour of mashing with 6.75 qts of water and sparging with 168* water and going thru my 1 hour boil, I only came up with a gravity of 1.032. This is the worst I've ever done.. by far. Worse yet, I cooled the wort before checking. So, I put it back into the BK and added enough DME to bring it up to 1.055.. just short of Yoopers OG. Part of my issue was I had FAR less boil off than I usually do. Change in BK and possibly not as vigorous a boil as usual. It's now in the fermenter. We'll see how it turns out.

Next time, I'm going to check my numbers the BIAB calculator before progressing. I only lost 3/4gal in this boil and usually have double that... argghhh. Nothing like a change in process.

The first time I did a BIAB, I used the calculator at BIAB and it came out perfect. Have NO idea why this one didn't . This made for a L O N G brew day.
Next time, add some boiling water to the mash instead of taking out some of the wort and boiling it and adding it, as you denature the enzymes in the mash when you do that. By doing that twice, you denatured the enzymes needed for conversion. If you miss your temperature by alot, adding a little boiling water will not hurt.

Until you get your strike temperatures nailed down, have some boiling water on hand, and a few ice cubes. If you miss by just a couple of degrees, let it go- but if you miss by alot use an ice cube or two to cool (if you miss high) or a quart of boiling water (if you miss low). It took me a few batches to get to where I can predict my temperature easily now, and it will come for you as well.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
People Like This 
Old 04-13-2014, 07:39 PM   #577
EHV
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 259 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Whats the consensus on aging?. From primary straight to the keg? Let it naturally carb? Purge it and leave it for awhile?

Old 04-13-2014, 10:55 PM   #578
ronjonacron
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 28 Posts

Ive only bottled this one, but i feel like as soon as its done it should be ready to keg. Ill keg the next batch i do as ive expanded my kegging operation.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:15 PM   #579
geoffm33

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 191

Just added the dry hop addition, sample tastes incredible. Can't wait to have this in the keg.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:20 PM   #580
EHV
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 259 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjonacron View Post
Ive only bottled this one, but i feel like as soon as its done it should be ready to keg. Ill keg the next batch i do as ive expanded my kegging operation.
Good enough for me. I just placed it in the kegerator at 10 psi. This is my first AG and the FG sample was excellent. I dropped the ball on the last dry hop addition so I only dry hopped overnight. Still had that nice faint bite at the nose. The color of this brew is amazing in primary. Thanks for the advice.