American Pale Ale Da Yooper's House Pale Ale - Page 40 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > American Pale Ale Da Yooper's House Pale Ale

Old 11-27-2012, 04:00 AM   #391
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Liked 7047 Times on 4175 Posts

I've got a batch of this fermenting now. Woot! I played with the grain bill a bit since I was short on vienna, but otherwise it's pretty close. We'll see in a few weeks.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:08 AM   #392
LabRatBrewer
Lost in a Maze
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2011
Laguna Niguel, CA
Liked 1056 Times on 733 Posts

Moved a keg today and the tape on it said Yoopers House Ale. I was so exited, I thought i must have brewed ten gallons instead of 5. As my first keg of Yooper Ale kicked early. Turns out I just forgot to change the tape when I racked a brown ale into the keg. Nothing wrong with the brown, but I really was in the mood for 5 bonus gallons. Next time I'll make ten.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #393
gbarron
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2006
Decatur, Georgia
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

I made this one a few weeks ago and have had it on tap now for about a week. Very nice beer with great color. I went the traditional route and went all Cascade. Hit all the numbers exactly. Used WLP007 (dry English ale).

I'm wondering if anyone has ever put this into a BJCP comp in the APA category? It is a very malty beer in terms of malt flavor (not sweetness) - bready, nutty. I used MO and Munich and Vienna as listed in the first post. I like the flavors and it is a highly drinkable beer, but the malt flavors almost fit more in the English pale ale category (despite the obvious use of American hops). So I was just curious if anyone had ever sent this to a competition as an APA and the results.

Keg: Vienna Lager, Helles Bock, Rye Saison, Xmas Quad, Imperial Stout, Pineapple Express (Trois) IPA, West Coast DIPA, English Cider
Bottled: Provision Oud Bruin
Secondary: Kriek, Flanders Red, Imperial Stout, American IPA
Primary: American IPA, Munich Helles
On Deck: Dunkels, Bock, IPA, DIPA, Lacto only sour

Old 12-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #394
FATC1TY

Recipes 

May 2012
Atlanta Area, GA
Liked 141 Times on 114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbarron View Post
I made this one a few weeks ago and have had it on tap now for about a week. Very nice beer with great color. I went the traditional route and went all Cascade. Hit all the numbers exactly. Used WLP007 (dry English ale).

I'm wondering if anyone has ever put this into a BJCP comp in the APA category? It is a very malty beer in terms of malt flavor (not sweetness) - bready, nutty. I used MO and Munich and Vienna as listed in the first post. I like the flavors and it is a highly drinkable beer, but the malt flavors almost fit more in the English pale ale category (despite the obvious use of American hops). So I was just curious if anyone had ever sent this to a competition as an APA and the results.
I took this as a base, and ramped it up a bit. Plan to rebrew it as it was a fan favorite around my parts with my friends and co workers.. I plan to enter it into the IPA category, simply because of where I took it.

I'd suspect you'd be fine in the APA category if you hop it well enough to round off the malt a bit. Or mash low low low.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:47 AM   #395
jonmohno
Recipes 

Nov 2010
Corn, High Fructose Corn Fortress, IA
Liked 417 Times on 367 Posts

Wow,7 months bottled and this is still great, used the Ivanhoe hops. I think I may make this again my next batch using all Columbus-this time. May try that new Bry-97 if avalible also.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:33 AM   #396
FATC1TY

Recipes 

May 2012
Atlanta Area, GA
Liked 141 Times on 114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmohno View Post
Wow,7 months bottled and this is still great,use the Ivanhoe hops. I think I may make this again my next batch using all Columbus-this time. May try that new Bry-97 if avalible also.

The BRY97 yeast is pretty good, but be warned, it takes a while to get going, finishes fast once it starts, and takes a bit longer to clear. Leave a bit of a yeasty-ish finish on the nose of the beer if it's not dry hopped heavy.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:49 AM   #397
jonmohno
Recipes 

Nov 2010
Corn, High Fructose Corn Fortress, IA
Liked 417 Times on 367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
The BRY97 yeast is pretty good, but be warned, it takes a while to get going, finishes fast once it starts, and takes a bit longer to clear. Leave a bit of a yeasty-ish finish on the nose of the beer if it's not dry hopped heavy.
Yeah,was reading some negative responses about this,but its worth a try to me,been hearing about the lag time,if my lhbs doesnt have it,guess I will try wlp001 liquid,which I havent ever tried yet.Ill probably dry hop it a bit more anyway,only because I can.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:45 AM   #398
RachEAlex
Recipes 

Dec 2009
Cape Cod, MA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Bottled my batch up today, gravity sample was tasty and the Falconers Flight hops I used smelled amazing...can't wait for these to carb up!

Brewcrew02 Likes This 
Old 12-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #399
BigB

Recipes 

Dec 2009
Shelby Twp, MI
Liked 45 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbarron View Post
I'm wondering if anyone has ever put this into a BJCP comp in the APA category?
I've entered a nearly identical version (no vienna - all two row instead of vienna) and received 3 honorable mentions. (38, 38.5, and 39). All 3 of the comps had a huge amount of entries too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Old 12-24-2012, 05:06 PM   #400
RugenBrau
Recipes 

Sep 2008
Finger Lakes
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I don't have any Vienna. How would this work with 5lbs of Munich?