Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Da Yooper's House Pale Ale

Old 04-07-2012, 07:16 AM   #301
greenstar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Thanks for the recipe, Yooper. Brewed this on March 25th. Can't wait to drink it.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:38 AM   #302
lafolielapper
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks Yoop...brewed this on Feb 22nd, but sub'd 4 oz of Summit, 2 of which were flameout. Estimated 43 IBU. Also, didn't dry hop. With all other ingredients the same, I ended up with 1.063 OG and 1.012 FG....kinda hot for a APA, but I'm not complaining. Been kegged since 22 March....and it keeps getting better and better. In the middle of a move back to the MN, so perhaps in a few months when my setup is all back together this will taste even better.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:13 PM   #303
glanville
Recipes 

Brewing this for the first time today! I've come up with a partial mash version, let me know what you think:

1 lb Pale Malt 2 Row US
2 lb Munich Malt
2 lb Vienna Malt
8 oz Crystal Malt 20L
8 oz Crystal Malt 60L
4 lbs Dry Malt Extract Light

1 oz Cascade (6.2 AA) @ 60 min
.75 oz Cascade @ 30 min
1 oz Cascade @ 10 min
.5 oz Cascade @ 5 min
.5 oz Cascade @ 0 min

I think I'm going to try and dry hop with some Citra (13.4 AA) instead of Cascade

WYeast 1056 which I started a couple days ago and is ready to rock

5 gallon batch
Beersmith is giving me a SG of 1.060 and 41.1 IBUs
Color 10.5 srm

Can't wait to taste this one. Let me know what you think on the DME substitution

Old 04-07-2012, 09:31 PM   #304
BeachBeerBoobs
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Brewed this yesterday. Used 2row instead of maris otter (local shop screwed up), and added an extra half pound of it to make 6.5gal pre boild. Hit 70% efficiency with 5 gal at 1.060. Also used cascade pellets instead of whole hops. Will dry hop in a few weeks. Thanks for the recipe Yooper.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:32 PM   #305
smokewater
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokewater View Post
Brewed up another batch of this yesterday. I spilled about 1/2 pound of my grain while mashing in. In an effort to make up some gravity points I threw in .75 lbs of flaked oats I had sitting around from a Blue Moon Clone batch I made last summer. I figured what the hell. I am learning and experimenting anyway. Wound up with 1.054. I also used 1 oz of 10.1 Amarillo for bittering and dropped an ounce of cascade 5.5 pellets in a few at a time the last 30 minutes (dogfish head style)
Finally bottled this last weekend after 5 weeks in the primary. I kept it in there that long due to traveling for work and not being able to package it.

It tasted great out of the bottling bucket.

I couldn't wait another week so I didn't dry hop. As an experiment I bottled half the batch then added a hop tea made by boiling about a quart of water, steeping an ounce of cascade pellets in a paint strainer bag for 20 minutes(off the heat not boiling) and stirring that into the bottling bucket.

I figured since I already messed up the recipe I might as well learn something about a hop tea addition. Doing half the batch will give me a side by side comparison with the same wort as well as my last batch of this dry hopped 2 weeks.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:10 PM   #306
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6220 Times on 4432 Posts
Likes Given: 1671

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokewater View Post
Finally bottled this last weekend after 5 weeks in the primary. I kept it in there that long due to traveling for work and not being able to package it.

It tasted great out of the bottling bucket.

I couldn't wait another week so I didn't dry hop. As an experiment I bottled half the batch then added a hop tea made by boiling about a quart of water, steeping an ounce of cascade pellets in a paint strainer bag for 20 minutes(off the heat not boiling) and stirring that into the bottling bucket.

I figured since I already messed up the recipe I might as well learn something about a hop tea addition. Doing half the batch will give me a side by side comparison with the same wort as well as my last batch of this dry hopped 2 weeks.
Let us know how the hop tea works out! I'm very curious.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 04-14-2012, 01:29 PM   #307
jaynik
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 13 Posts

I am still loving this beer but have noticed it seems to be getting more bitter as the aroma fades. Has anyone else had the symptom of increasing bitterness over time?

Old 04-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #308
wookiemofo
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Yooper are you fermenting at 62 the whole way out? Even your dry hop? Or are you raising to 68 after the second week?

Old 04-18-2012, 10:40 PM   #309
smokewater
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Let us know how the hop tea works out! I'm very curious.
I just tasted these for the first time after 2 weeks in the bottle.

I bottled 18 before adding 1 oz of cascade to about a quart of boiling water. It sat off the heat for about 20 minutes before I added it to the bottling bucket. I got 38 bottles with the hop tea added.

It did make a difference that is noticable. I taste more hop flavor in the batch with tea added and actually like it better. There is just a little more sediment in the bottom of the bottles with the hop tea but the clarity is just as good decanted into a glass.

It is something I will continue to experiment with. It's an easy way to have 2 slightly different tasting beers from the same batch. I may even try different hop combinations this way. I only get to brew about once a month so this provides a bit more variety.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:16 PM   #310
StinkyVp
Dictator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Drinking one now. It's been in the bottle for two weeks and in the fridge for one. Very good and very even flavor. Less hoppy than I thought. I missed the OG pretty bad (1.050) using all grain BIAB. I'm still tweaking my process/method. This is my 29th batch total. I'm pretty sure I'll try this again and see if I can hit 1.058. My efficiency has improved since brewing this so maybe I will do better.
It's not totally carbed yet but very very nice... heading for another one.