American Pale Ale Da Yooper's House Pale Ale - Page 24 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > American Pale Ale Da Yooper's House Pale Ale

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2011, 02:32 PM   #231
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
msa8967's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2009
North Liberty, Iowa
Posts: 2,878
Liked 108 Times on 87 Posts


Yooper,

I have had great success with your recipes in the past so I plan to make a special order just to have enough cascade on hand to brew this recipe once we get enough snow for me to use to cool/chill the wort with my snow/water slush method since it is too cold to run my garden hose to my chiller.

So should I use packaged pellet hops for the first two additions or the first three additions? Thanks for getting back to me.
__________________
Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:38 PM   #232
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,757
Liked 8026 Times on 5608 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by msa8967 View Post
Yooper,

I have had great success with your recipes in the past so I plan to make a special order just to have enough cascade on hand to brew this recipe once we get enough snow for me to use to cool/chill the wort with my snow/water slush method since it is too cold to run my garden hose to my chiller.

So should I use packaged pellet hops for the first two additions or the first three additions? Thanks for getting back to me.
I'd probably use homegrown for only the last two additions (and possibly dryhopping) if they smell great and fresh.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:38 AM   #233
kappclark
 
kappclark's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2006
Southern VT
Posts: 1,590
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


I am really enjoying a variation on this, which I have called 3 Kings, and it is pretty simple

5 lbs Pale
4 lbs Vienna
3 lbs Munich

** NO Crystal - I may add some next batch)

Tetnanger hops (3 oz total)

WLP001

1.054 OG 1.010 FG

I think the Crystal will add some sweetness, thinking 0.5 lbs
__________________
Bill Clark
Windham, VT

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:13 AM   #234
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
msa8967's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2009
North Liberty, Iowa
Posts: 2,878
Liked 108 Times on 87 Posts


What could you replace the crystal with to help give the beer some body without greatly changing the flavor profile or adding too much sweetness? Carapils? Flaked wheat?
__________________
Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:49 PM   #235
kappclark
 
kappclark's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2006
Southern VT
Posts: 1,590
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by msa8967 View Post
What could you replace the crystal with to help give the beer some body without greatly changing the flavor profile or adding too much sweetness? Carapils? Flaked wheat?
I was thinking a bit (1/2 lb) of bavarian wheat DME - what do you think?
__________________
Bill Clark
Windham, VT

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:38 PM   #236
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
daksin's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,617
Liked 357 Times on 311 Posts


So I tacked on an extra pound of MO because I plan to BIAB this beer, but beercalculus only gives me an estimated OG of 1.039 even with the exra MO. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong (efficiency on beer calculus is estimating 75% efficiency, which I don't expect to get).

Edit: I guess this is just a difference between the free beercalculus and beersmith. I downloaded the beersmith trial and everything seems to check out. If my efficiency is 65% with the extra pound of MO, my OG should be right on. If not, then I can DME or top up to make more beer!
__________________
I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:40 AM   #237
HItransplant
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
Portlandia
Posts: 1,033
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin
So I tacked on an extra pound of MO because I plan to BIAB this beer, but beercalculus only gives me an estimated OG of 1.039 even with the exra MO. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong (efficiency on beer calculus is estimating 75% efficiency, which I don't expect to get).

Edit: I guess this is just a difference between the free beercalculus and beersmith. I downloaded the beersmith trial and everything seems to check out. If my efficiency is 65% with the extra pound of MO, my OG should be right on. If not, then I can DME or top up to make more beer!
I've found I get better eff with BIAB than 75%, but I always squeeze my sack.

That never gets old
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLemonLars View Post
It's comfort foam. :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
It's a gentle recipe, so your first time will be enjoyable and memorable. :D

splbrew Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:49 PM   #238
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
daksin's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,617
Liked 357 Times on 311 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by HItransplant View Post
I've found I get better eff with BIAB than 75%, but I always squeeze my sack.

That never gets old
It never does

Anyway, you're absolutely right- I could have gone without the extra pound. Hit ~80% efficiency and so my OG was high- around 1.066. I'm going to add a half gallon of water when I get home from work- still in the lag right now so I think it should be fine. Excited to taste this beer.
__________________
I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:49 AM   #239
Rubes
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
, Ontario
Posts: 231
Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts


What can I replace the Crystal 20L with? I can get 40-60L but not 20. Could I use a smaller amount of 40L, or some Caraamber?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:03 PM   #240
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,757
Liked 8026 Times on 5608 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubes View Post
What can I replace the Crystal 20L with? I can get 40-60L but not 20. Could I use a smaller amount of 40L, or some Caraamber?
Yes, 40L would be fine.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New House Pale Ale HumboldtBrewer Recipes/Ingredients 1 01-30-2013 02:47 AM
WLP008 - Yooper's Pale Ale? beerspitnight Fermentation & Yeast 4 12-04-2012 01:48 AM
6th Brew Today, 2/12/12- Yooper's House Pale Ale JeffoC6 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 02-14-2012 03:48 PM
Yooper's Pale ale bluemoose General Beer Discussion 6 07-09-2011 12:55 AM


Forum Jump