American Pale Ale Da Yooper's House Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
S-05
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 at 62 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
dryhopping
Tasting Notes
A balanced APA with malt flavor, and hops flavor, for a nice APA.
5 pounds pale malt (I used marris otter)
3 pounds vienna malt
2 pounds Munich malt
1/2 pound crystal 20L
1/2 pound crystal 60L

1 ounce Cascade 60 minutes
.75 ounce cascade 30 minutes
1 ounce Cascade 10 minutes
1/2 ounce cascade 5 minutes
1/2 ounce cascade flameout

1 ounce cascade (dryhop)

I used homegrown cascade for the late hopping additions, so had to guestimate the final IBUs, but used commercial pellet hops for the bittering additions (8% AAU).

Mashed at 154. Fermented at low ale temps (62) for two weeks, then dryhopped for a week.

This beer is my attempt at Lakefront Brewery's Cream City Pale Ale. I don't know if it's close- we don't have any to compare it to! But i was going for a slightly bitter, malt forward, APA. It worked! This beer is balanced, but definitely an APA. It's our new "house beer".

Edited to add new information: I don't use S05 much any more as it never clears well for me and can have "peachy notes" I no longer like. I love WLP001 for this beer, which is very similar but clears a bit better with no "peach" notes. I also mash at 152 with my new system, as I get better attenuation that way.

View attachment palealerecipes.bsm

I'm going to brew this again this weekend- it's really my new favorite. I don't think I have any vienna malt, though, so I might use some pilsner malt and increase the Munich malt. I really like the hopping and malt balance in this recipe, so I don't want to tweak it too much!

I'm plugging this recipe into beersmith and am geting these IBU ratings:
Tinesth - 53.1
Rager - 56.6
Garetz - 30.5

It always seems my IBU's are off when I enter them into Beersmith from the recipe on here. Any ideas why? and which Bitterness rating are you using?

I'm at work now, so I can't see my Beersmith file, but I always use Tinseth.

I used a middle range (8% AAU) cascades for bittering. I'll check when I get home, to see what it is.

You can click open the Beersmith file above the recipe, to get to see my recipe file in your Beersmith copy.

I opened the file you had posted and saw some of the hops were 6.x% from the homegrowns, but even after that correction there were some differences. I'm sure it has something to do with equipment setup.

Hey Yooper. I ordered this from Brewmasters Warehouse and brewed it up on Sunday. Thanks to his crush, I ended up with about 6 gallons of 1.06 in the fermentor. Happily bubbling away in my basement now!

Looking forward to tasting it.

anyone able to convert this into extract? i wanna brew it based on feedback, but not setup for AG yet. thanks.

I just saw this, so it's probably too late now. But I don't think Vienna malt comes in an extract, although Munich malt might. It could easily be done in a partial mash, using the Vienna malt, Munich malt, and crystal in a grain bag and replacing the pale malt with 3 pounds light DME. That's a pretty big PM, with 6 pounds of malt, but I don't think it'd be close if the Vienna malt and Munich malt aren't used.

Yooper, looks like a great recipe. All that malty goodness from MO, Vienna, Munich. Enough bitterness to balance it out. I want to make this. I will probably scale the crystal back a bit for my own taste but I am really looking forward to making this one. Thanks!

Looks like a good recipe. After doing too many light colored APAs and IPAs, this seems more interesting. As I have lots of Cascades as well as the other ingredients on hand, I may have to try this one. It seems strikingly similar to what I was thinking anyway, except for a smidgen of flaked oats.

Rich

Been meaning to thank you for this recipe for quite some time Yoop...

I've been using the grain bill, but hopping as follows...

.5 OZ Magnum 12.1 and .5 OZ Cascade 5.4 for 60 minutes.

.5 Oz Summit 18.2 for 30 minutes.

.25 0z Summit 18.2 for 15 minutes.

.25 OZ Summit 18.2 at flame out.

Right now I have one on tap, and all the stuff to brew another this weekend.

I really LOVE this brew. It was meant to be a Widmer Brothers Drifter clone, but I didn't even come close.

I really LOVE this brew. It was meant to be a Widmer Brothers Drifter clone, but I didn't even come close.

You know, I've never used summit hops. What kind of flavor/aroma do they bring?

Like Cascades on steroids... VERY citrusy... Like grapefruit.

Alright I am going to give this one a shot. I drank some Loose Cannon by clipper city brewing company and it was a very hoppy pale ale with a good malty balance. I came straight home after drinking it and found a clone for it and the grain bill costs about $12 more than this one does so I've got my fingers crossed that this one is just as good if not better! :D

I think I am going to try the cascade/summit hop combo using cascade through the 15 minute mark of the boil and then finish + dry hop with summit.

I'm ordering my grains tomorrow and I'm pretty excited about this one - thanks yooper!

Alright I am going to give this one a shot. I drank some Loose Cannon by clipper city brewing company and it was a very hoppy pale ale with a good malty balance. I came straight home after drinking it and found a clone for it and the grain bill costs about $12 more than this one does so I've got my fingers crossed that this one is just as good if not better! :D

I think I am going to try the cascade/summit hop combo using cascade through the 15 minute mark of the boil and then finish + dry hop with summit.

I'm ordering my grains tomorrow and I'm pretty excited about this one - thanks yooper!

I'm doing this one again tomorrow, too! Well, sort of. lschiavo gave me two ounces of citra, so I'm doing the same grain bill, bittering with magnum and using citra for all of the flavor and aroma additions. I've been wanting to try citra for a while now!

Just bottled this tonight. Due to my insane schedule and Easter thrown in, it sat in primary for 30 days, with 15 days dryhop. I had about half a glass left over. It sure went down good. Nice citrusy aroma, hop flavor very present but not overwhelming. About 3 weeks in the bottle, and this should be very pleasant drinking.

Thanks Yoop!

This brew is awesome!! I I love the balance. Everyone love this brew. I am almost out so I am doing it again tomorrow but I am going to go all Citra. I am going to do whole in the boil and dry hop with pellets

I'm doing this one again tomorrow, too! Well, sort of. lschiavo gave me two ounces of citra, so I'm doing the same grain bill, bittering with magnum and using citra for all of the flavor and aroma additions. I've been wanting to try citra for a while now!

Well, with all citra (except for bittering), the result is not as great. Of course, it's young. We'll see how it is carbed up and aged a bit.

When I kegged it yesterday, I thought "ugh". So, I dryhopped in the keg with an ounce of cascade to see if that helps. I think I'll stick with my original recipe next time!

Brewed this on Saturday. AG batch and hit 1.054 O.G. with 5.25 Gallons in the fermenter.

I dumped it onto MB's Centennial Blonde yeast cake that had been sitting for 2-3 days.

Within 30 minutes the air lock was rocking 2-3 times per second.

"I had better keep my eye on this. I don't think I'll need a blowoff tube for a beer of that size, but I had better keep an eye on it anyway."

Within 3 hours of pitching it onto the cake, it had exploded, requiring the tube.

This thing is going to be done in a hurry.

I think.

Hey Yooper,
I plan on brewing this, this weekend. Your ale seems like the perfect addition to the pipeline. Looking forward to it. The question I have for you is did you follow a certain water profile...say Edinburgh to enhance the maltiness of the beer? I apologize in advance if you had included it in your attachment. Thanks

Steve

I've been drinking this for about a week, now, and all I can say is WOW! This is one good APA. Nice citrusy aroma, nice hop bite, well balanced by the malt. This is definitely on my repeat list!

Thanks Yooper!

Hey Yooper,
I plan on brewing this, this weekend. Your ale seems like the perfect addition to the pipeline. Looking forward to it. The question I have for you is did you follow a certain water profile...say Edinburgh to enhance the maltiness of the beer? I apologize in advance if you had included it in your attachment. Thanks

Steve

I didn't go for a certain profile, but I do some water calculations. Since I have very high bicarbonate water, I dilute with RO water and then use gypsum and calcium chloride to get back into range. I just use the EZ spreadsheet, so that the water is within acceptable range for the color of the beer. It's a fairly balanced sulfate/choride ration.

I've been drinking this for about a week, now, and all I can say is WOW! This is one good APA. Nice citrusy aroma, nice hop bite, well balanced by the malt. This is definitely on my repeat list!

Thanks Yooper!

Thanks. We really love it, too. It's my idea of a session beer, I guess.

Thanks Yooper,
My water is actually pretty good as is, my s/c ratio is more on the malty side so I adjusted it for a more of a balanced ratio. Looking forward to brewing it this sat.

Cheers

I have Summit SMaSH on tap right now and I love them! Can't wait to use them again. I find them to be a lot like Cascades but softer. That was the key to them in my opinion, soft. And so very delicious.

I just brewed up 5 gallons of this. I took out the hops at flame out and dropped the hops @ 30 minutes by .25 oz. I probably won't do a dry hop, either, since I plan to keg it within a week or two. Whenever it clears. This looks like a great beer, though. The wort samples tasted awesome.

I'm doing a 10 gallon batch of this recipe this week, probably Thursday. I am in a "cascades" mood and I think it'll be the perfect late-summer beer.

I just tasted this for the first time and it was great. I think it's one of the best beers I've ever brewed, I'll definitely be brewing this again.
I ended up brewing it on April 30th, the day my niece was born. So, I named it KendAle after her. :mug:

kendale.jpg

Has anyone done this with Nottingham (which I have) or should I stick with S-05 ?

I'm sure I've done it with nottingham in the past. If you can ferment it under 68 degrees (preferable even cooler), then I think it'll turn out great. If it's going to hit 70 or a bit higher, then the S05 would be the way to go. In my opinion, nottingham gets a very nasty taste if fermented over about 70-72 degrees but at cool temperatures it's very clean and lager-like.

Funny you posted this today- we just got home from vacation, and I had a keg of this carbing up while we were gone. I just pulled the first pint from this, and I remembered how much I loved it! It's really good.

I just did this on Saturday and have a version bottled but I used all Amarillo's. I like it but I think I like the all Cascade version better

I'm sure I've done it with nottingham in the past. If you can ferment it under 68 degrees (preferable even cooler), then I think it'll turn out great. If it's going to hit 70 or a bit higher, then the S05 would be the way to go. In my opinion, nottingham gets a very nasty taste if fermented over about 70-72 degrees but at cool temperatures it's very clean and lager-like.

QUOTE]

Just ordered the ingredients...along with the s-05.....I have been fermenting Notty at 68 ... do u think a lower temp is better ? (I am using the tim-honored fermenter-in-a-muck bucket method and athe aquarium heater in the basement...I am sure I can get down to 62-64, even in the summer.

Just ordered the ingredients...along with the s-05.....I have been fermenting Notty at 68 ... do u think a lower temp is better ? (I am using the tim-honored fermenter-in-a-muck bucket method and athe aquarium heater in the basement...I am sure I can get down to 62-64, even in the summer.

Yes, in my opinion Nottingham is better at a lower temperature. The S05 is fine at 66-68, but notty seems better at 60-22.

what is your water calculation (how may qts / pound ?)

Is 12 qts ok for mash, and 12 qts for sparge ?

what is your water calculation (how may qts / pound ?)

Is 12 qts ok for mash, and 12 qts for sparge ?

I have been doing 1.5 quarts/pound for the mash, and then sparging to get my boil volume. My boil volume is 7 gallons now (in my newer system) so I think I'd have a bit more for a sparge than you.

Latest posts

Back