Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Double checking the OSG

Old 01-27-2009, 05:11 AM   #1
dsoto75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Double checking the OSG

In making my first batch today, I followed the directions of the beer kit I purchased. On the label they list the OG at 1.043. When I took the reading with my hydrometer, I got 1.04(the balling reading was at 10).

So I'm guessing I will take the second reading after the 7 days. Am I looking to have the final gravity at the same reading as my first? Should I check it any sooner?

Thanks in advance.

dave

Old 01-27-2009, 05:13 AM   #2
JMSetzler
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 24

The final gravity should be much lower. If it's the same, you didn't get any fermentation.

Kamado Joe Cooking Channel - Grillin' up a Storm!

Old 01-27-2009, 05:18 AM   #3
Hoosier
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Congratulations on your first brew! It seems that your numbers were pretty close and that is a good thing. After a week you should see a significantly lower hydrometer reading. After the yeast eat up all those sugars they produce alcohol and C02. Alcohol has a lower gravity than water so your hydro reading will go down. Again, congrats and welcome to the addiction.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:20 AM   #4
Hoosier
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

One other thing, well ok 2, resist the urge to take a bunch of hydro readings. It is a waste. Check it after about 1.5 weeks and then let it sit in that primary for another 2 weeks and let those yeasties clean up after themselves.