Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > The cure for your short hose troubles

Old 04-20-2010, 03:54 PM   #201
greenbirds
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBenn View Post
This topic always comes and goes for every HDPE or PET container we use for brewing. But your link basically says not to use non-food grade material!

The difference, AFAIK, is between food grade and non-food grade. Food grade(FDA) has (supposedly) followed all the rules about how and from what machines, dyes, chemicals(like release agents) it was manufactured from/with; non-food grade is not. The non-food grade "might" be just as good or then again not. Like what the extruder had on it before, was it cleaned, were recycled materials used(that contained chemicals), etc. You just don't know with non-food grade, for certain.

There is a different, more expensive restrictor:
http://www.chicompany.net/insta-bala...enter-859.html

Haven't used, but they look like stainless.

Like a friend used to say, you pays your money and you takes your chances....
My bad, I only read what I wanted to read on that link, which was rather irresponsible of me. I apologize.

There are lots of "green living," "family safety" etc. sites out there that claim plastic (polypropylene, HDPE, what have you) is the work of the devil and going to give you cancer, and there's also plenty of scientific stuff showing the opposite. I guess you just have to make an informed decision, which, granted, is hard to do when you don't know how they're producing these mixing sticks.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:09 PM   #202
Zacharomyces
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Got these little guys in yesterday. Put two of them in an APA with five feet of line that was foaming like a banshee. Great pour now!

Old 05-01-2010, 12:34 PM   #203
avaserfi
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

If anyone cares, I contacted the manufacturer directly about these mixing sticks to see what they said about safety. The outer cage (the clear plastic part) is polypropylene, the actual part we are using is made from delrin in a non-food safe environment. They do not make a reasonable food safe alternative.

Old 05-01-2010, 03:33 PM   #204
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 245 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by avaserfi View Post
If anyone cares, I contacted the manufacturer directly about these mixing sticks to see what they said about safety. The outer cage (the clear plastic part) is polypropylene, the actual part we are using is made from delrin in a non-food safe environment. They do not make a reasonable food safe alternative.
I wonder if they can't call it food safe because of how it is manufactured in a "non-food safe" manner? I believe delrin can be food safe in many applications.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 05-01-2010, 04:00 PM   #205
Ricand
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Looks like Delrin is approved by the FDA... Wiki article..

The Food and Drug Administration has approved Delrin for use in the food industry. Delrin was used by Mattel from 1968 to 1972 to produce the low-friction wheel bearings found on redline Hot Wheels.

So it just isn't manufactured in a food safe environment. I think a good soaking in non-chlorine cleaner should be ok for us.

It has a really low coefficient of friction which is why it's being used in the mixing tip application. It is also really susceptible to oxidation in the presence of chlorine even at low levels like in city water.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:09 PM   #206
Synovia
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Bought a bunch of these. They're now in all my kegs.

Only issue: its a PITA when I want to transfer between kegs.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:01 PM   #207
verotik
Recipes 

Just wanted to say, i ordered 6 of these for my 2 kegs, put 2 in each keg, just ordered 6 for "just in case". Just put them in and pulled a pint...absolutely perfect. It is slow, but man what a difference, i was getting 1/2 a pint of foam because of short 5' lines on my kegconnection setup, and this solved it. Very cheap and awesome advice. Thanks again!

Old 06-22-2010, 10:17 PM   #208
bscuderi
Recipes 

Anybody know if these work fine in a 3 gallon keg? Wondering cause I also don't want to lower my keg pressure or lengthen my lines from 5 ft! Also is this something I can find at home depot or lowes or do I have to order online?

Old 06-22-2010, 10:23 PM   #209
ThatGuyRyan
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscuderi View Post
Anybody know if these work fine in a 3 gallon keg? Wondering cause I also don't want to lower my keg pressure or lengthen my lines from 5 ft! Also is this something I can find at home depot or lowes or do I have to order online?

yes you can use them on 3 gal kegs also I use just 1-2 inserts vs 2-3 for 5 gallon kegs. And no you cant buy them at home depot

Old 06-23-2010, 04:14 AM   #210
bscuderi
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyRyan View Post
yes you can use them on 3 gal kegs also I use just 1-2 inserts vs 2-3 for 5 gallon kegs. And no you cant buy them at home depot
Sweet thanks I suppose I'll just put in an online order