Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Help out the stout.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:44 PM   #1
farrout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help out the stout.

Hey all,
I brewed a dry stout kit a week and a half ago, and after checking the gravity I found out it is not nearly dark enough. it should be black, however it looks like a scotch ale or something along those lines. I'm sure my problem was that I didnt crush the grains good enough, but thats in the past. So I was wondering what could be done about this. I thought about buying some coffe beans, such as an expresso or french roast. Grind them up and place them in a cheesecloth bag and add that to the keg with the beer. I would assume that would beef up the coffee flavor and maybe darken it a bit more. is this a viable idea? any other suggestions?
Thanks guys.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:51 PM   #2
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 697 Times on 397 Posts
Likes Given: 255

If all you want to do is add some coffee flavor and darken the beer, maybe the simplest thing is to boil up a real concentrated amount of instant coffee.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:56 PM   #3
Whisler85
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

use sinamar beer coloring

it is available at most LHBS, it is made from roasted barley, and it is 3200L, so a little bit goes a long way

i don't know what to do about the kit, but when making a dry stout that you want REALLY black without going overboard on black barley, it is a good idea to crush just the black barley into dust (leave all other grains at a normal grind)- this will give you the best color without increasing the roastiness or astringency of the beer

Old 01-26-2009, 10:11 PM   #4
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 87

+1 for sinamar

Old 01-27-2009, 01:15 AM   #5
farrout
Recipes 

Don't you usually use sinamar in the boil? can it be added to the primary or secondary?

Old 01-29-2009, 07:45 PM   #6
Whisler85
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

use it any time- i know people who have used it for swarzbier when they cant find de-bittered (carafa special) dark malts

just add it and mix- ur done

Old 01-30-2009, 12:26 AM   #7
CreeDakota
Recipes 

Hows the flavor? Cold steeping espresso beans doesnt sound too effective to me. I think BierMuncher has a better idea with the Freezedried Coffee slurry addition. Maybe pull a small sample and test the color and flavour with an carefully measured addition. Note the ratio that worked the best and go for it.

Never used Sinamar so cant comment.