Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Thoughts on Brewer's Best "Bold Series" American Nut Brown

Old 01-27-2009, 01:36 PM   #11
1stTimer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I really appreciate it guys. I would have made a big mistake. I swear the instructions said to siphon it into the secondary bucket with the spigot after it stopped bubbling. Now I know to just leave it in the primary fermenter for 3 weeks or so. Once I siphon it into the bottling bucket I bottle it immediately? I guess it would take a little while for it to settle first. I've learned from other things that going strictly by the instructions can be a bad idea. This proves it. Thanks again everyone..

Old 01-27-2009, 01:41 PM   #12
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3029 Times on 2935 Posts
Likes Given: 149

I made this as my second brew. I don't know if maybe I didn't leave it in primary long enough or just didn't like it. It had a definite twang to it to where I could drink it. I brewed it last feburary and around August of this year the twang mellowed and turned to a definite hope aroma and flavor. This was better, but I didn't feel the hop variety went well with the malt profile. I would not make this kit again if I were still extract brewing.

Kit Instruction are almost always wrong. Never judge a fermentation by time or airlock bubbles. The only way to know when FG is reached (done fermenting) is with a hydrometer. And even after that you'll want to leave it on the yeast cake a little while. Yeast do more than just convert sugar to alcohol. They go back in afterwards and clean up afterthemselves clearing some off/bad flavors they may have produced during fermentation and clearing the beer a bit.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo's mom

Old 01-27-2009, 02:41 PM   #13
1stTimer
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks for the input. I hope I like it. Its along the lines of brew I usually enjoy. I plan on leaving it be for a while. I need to empty some other bottles so I can fill them anyways. This will give me plenty of time to put down some Dogfish Head. Im a pretty patient person so hopefully I can wait.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:49 PM   #14
BenT1
Recipes 

While you're waiting, have you ever tried Ithaca Nut Brown? Its my favorite of the variety. I made this kit and it was good, but (unfortunately) not Ithaca Nut Brown good.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:59 PM   #15
MikeG
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stTimer View Post
I appreciate the feed back. I will take your advice and let it sit. I need to drink a lot more to get all the bottles I need anyways. Any other kits of theirs you would recommend?
Yeah, I really like their American Style Pale Ale. I've finished 2 batches of this and will be kegging the 3rd this weekend.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:29 PM   #16
KyleWolf
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stTimer View Post
I've become somewhat of a DogFish Head junkie so if there is one that resembles any of their beers I would love to give it a shot.
There is a website I have (don't know if its ok to post) that has the 60min and their brown.

Up next: Tangerine Wit, Flanders Red, Maybe a Gose?