Pressure Relief Valve?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EFaden

Reaction score
Hey,

So I am using a keg as my reservoir for my carbonator. The spring loaded pressure relief valve is leaking which is a major problem since the gas in is seltzer and not gas. I was wondering what pressure they are supposed to open at? Also could I just take then thing and coat the spring in epoxy/gorilla glue or something to make one that wouldn't ever open? (I realize the danger in disabling it, but I shouldn't be near the limit of the keg.) Thoughts?

Whatever the opening pressure for a standard ball lock pressure relief valve is, it's somewhere above 50 psi (been there, tried that high).

I'd pull the lid, disassemble the relief valve and get the housing and valve a good cleaning, then reassemble and see if the leak has stopped. If it still bubbles, pull the ring, rotate it 180°, and let it go. Might seat.

Replacement valves are like $8. I wouldn't muck around with epoxy or silicone or whatever...

Cheers!

I was just thinking about locking it shut so I don't have to worry about it. The other option is to buy a stainless nut + bolt and a washer and just replace the whole setup. I have a few of the lids that used to have the non-pull type. I drilled them out and replaced them with the pull type, so it would be fairly easy to just put a bolt in its place.

I'd follow daytrippers advice. If it does not work replace tge valve. Better safe than sorry. I think the blow off pressure is 125.

Back