IPA kit I bought from Midwest supply. Hop schedule advice?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impulserush

Reaction score
Ok I have bought this kit because it has all the ingredients I was going to use in my other recipe I came up with.

I want some help figuring out hop schedule and IBU.
2.5 gallon boil

9.3 Light LME
12 oz. Crystal 60L
8 oz. Victory Malt

Hops,
1 oz Chinook 60 min. 12AA%
.5oz Cascade 45 min. 6.6 AA%
.5oz Centennial 30 min. 10.5AA%
.5oz Cascade 20min. 6.6AA%
.5oz Centennial 10min. 10.5AA%
1 oz Crystal 5 min. 3.5AA%

2 oz Cascade leaf hops for Dry Hopping.

I calculated 91 on tastybrew.com. Is this accurate? Can someone else figure it out and tell me If I am right.

Is there any thoughts on changing the hop schedule to make this recipe better?

Or anything I can do to this to make it better?

Thanks

I brewed kit that as it was, and it was fantastic. I didnt have the ability to weigh out my hops to get half ounces so for the earlier additions I made a point to add more than less so that those hops could have more time as a bittering agents.

I kegged this after about 3 weeks and I dont think it lasted much more than 2 weeks after that. I'd say brew it as it is!

You could FWH it with the late addition Centennilal and Crystal...

That will add a little complexity.

Is the recipe you have listed YOUR recipe or is it the one that came with the kit? What is the difference between the two recipes?

Is the recipe you have listed YOUR recipe or is it the one that came with the kit? What is the difference between the two recipes?

It came with the kit. The differance is the hops. I was going to originally use
1.5 centennial for 60
1 chinook 20
1 cascade 10
1 simcoe steep at flame out.
That recipe came in at 78 on tastybrew.

I like this recipe more. I have had an IPA from a microbrew here in PA. It is called Weyerbachers Hops Infusion. I do not know the IBU but I do know they use 7 different hops. The use simcoe,magnum,cascade,liberty,saaz,fuggle and EKent goldings. I liked this beer but This is what I am basing my taste on. I would think with this amount of hops there IBU would be in the 100 range +?

FWH an extract brew...what would you do, steep some hops in a bit of extract and water @ 150 or so for 20m or such before boiling?

Woops... disregarded the fact that it is extract.

Maybe FWHing cannot be done if you brew extract? I dont know how you would do it. Since you dont really have any "first wort".

With the gravity of the wort in the brewpot you may have issues absorbing all that alpha acid. Your IBU's might be a little lower, but tastybrew might factor that in.

With the gravity of the wort in the brewpot you may have issues absorbing all that alpha acid. Your IBU's might be a little lower, but tastybrew might factor that in.

OG is 1.070-1.074
FG is 1.016-1.018

This is on there ingredients list.

They do not list the IBU

Ahhh....Hop Head Double IPA, It absolutely rocks as is. I drank a couple just last night.:rockin:
The IBU calculation is way high though especially for 2.5 to 3 gal boil. Try this IBU calculator IBU Calculator - Updated for all grain | Brewer's Friend
it matches up with doing calculations long hand according to John Palmer's "How to Brew" I had only one change in the recipe and that was that I only used 1 oz. of the Cascade leaf hops for dry hopping. I did this because one of the vacuum bags didn't seam to have had all of the air pulled out and I didn't want to risk infection, although risk would be minimal I know. I did turn around and use those hops a few weeks later in the boil of a different recipe.

Latest posts

Back