How Hot Can An Auto-Siphon Get?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelikan

Reaction score
I'm wondering if I can use an auto-siphon to transfer mash and sparge water (between 150-160ish *F) from one vessel to another. Will the siphon and the tubing deal with that temperature, or should I look to another means of transport?

Why siphon at all? Seems like a superfluous step.

As far as temps, I think 170* + is enough to damage the siphon housing.

Well, I know it can't take boiling wort... Figured that out the hard way... Don't drink too many beers while actually brewing or you will figure out MANY things the hard way.

Why siphon at all? Seems like a superfluous step.

As far as temps, I think 170* + is enough to damage the siphon housing.

Yeah, I probably shouldn't use the siphon. Anyone have a suggestion for transferring 3-4 gallons of hot wort?

Yeah, I probably shouldn't use the siphon. Anyone have a suggestion for transferring 3-4 gallons of hot wort?

You can fairly easily pick up a kettle with that much wort, so you can use gravity to your advantage. Get some reinforced tubing and then use something like a turkey baster to star a siphon. I don't suppose you have a valve in your wort kettle?

How hot can it get? Prolly 500-600F? Of course, it will melt WAY before that.

You can fairly easily pick up a kettle with that much wort, so you can use gravity to your advantage. Get some reinforced tubing and then use something like a turkey baster to star a siphon. I don't suppose you have a valve in your wort kettle?

Nope, no valve. I suppose I'll get a length of that heat-resistant tubing and try to get a siphon started with the baster. If all else fails, I'll just attempt a pour.

I've wondered about trying to come up with a heat resistant one, maybe made of metal and using one of those fancy smancy stainless steel racking canes it, and high temp tubing..

Just using an auto siphone to clean with hot tap water causes them to develop stress cracks, leaks and eventually breaks in 2. The first one I figured got crushed, when the second developed cracks right away I knew something was wrong and since I stopped using really hot water to clean if using the auto siphon, my third is in good shape still.

Linc

Simple: put a valve on your boil kettle. Why lift 5+ gallons of hot wort when you can let it drain?

Bargain Fittings has weldless valves for brew pots... $20 or so.

Back