Dark Weiss? (thats not a DunkelWeiss)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkewedBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My Weissen is in the secondary and its still really dark. Should I expect it to be darker than regular commercial Bavarian style Weissen or do you guys think it will lighten up the longer it sits (both in the secondary and in the bottles)?

Also, all you guys who are supporters of the Message Board really need to post some pictures of your "nanobreweries!" I know I would if I could, I'm working on a website right now...

If it was made with extract, then yes it will be darker, closer to an amber color. No worries. And I have a picture or two of my mash tun in my gallery.

SkewedAle said:
My Weissen is in the secondary and its still really dark. Should I expect it to be darker than regular commercial Bavarian style Weissen or do you guys think it will lighten up the longer it sits (both in the secondary and in the bottles)?

It won't lighten up, but it usually appears darker in the secondary than it will in a glass.

Kai

It won't lighten up with age but it will look lighter in the glass because there will be less of it between you and the light. Most of my beers are dark in the fermenter but when I transfer them they look light in the tube and when I pour.

Back