Off Taste Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjung

Reaction score
I am a relative new brewer, about to start batch #7, which will be my first partial mash, and I have noticed a subtle, almost iodine-like off taste in the last couple of batches, especially in a Red Ale, which was batch # 3. Any one have an idea what that may be ? Better yet, how I can avoid it in the future ?

brewt00l said:
I don't know what iodine tastes like to help you out.

How to Brew covers some common off-flavors and their sources:

http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-2.html

What's your sanitization like? Are you leaving behind some excess sanitizer that could be contributing to the taste?

I would have to assume that it tastes like it smells. the first time that I noticed it, I used the iodine sanitizing solution, and had my kids (teens) wash the bottles. I assumed that they just didn't rinse properly, but I have been using bleach ever sinse, and still notice a faint off taste.

kjung said:
I would have to assume that it tastes like it smells. the first time that I noticed it, I used the iodine sanitizing solution, and had my kids (teens) wash the bottles. I assumed that they just didn't rinse properly, but I have been using bleach ever sinse, and still notice a faint off taste.

I use Idophor it is supposed to be no rinse I have nver had any off flavors, I cant see it being that. Does it taste like the vinyl tubing you transfer in?

RICLARK said:
I use Idophor it is supposed to be no rinse I have nver had any off flavors, I cant see it being that. Does it taste like the vinyl tubing you transfer in?

I uses Iodophor as well and don't get any flavors either...What dillution are you using Kjung? The recomended is 1 tbs/5 gallons of water. If you used a different dillution, you COULD possibly be getting some flavors from it...That is if you are using Iodophor....

I don't know if this will help, but here's another link on troubleshooting off flavors.

Iodophor should not be the cause - I use it all the time. As long as you use the recommended amount you should be fine.

Cheers!
Brad

I only used Iodophor a couple of times, and have been using bleach ever since. I'm starting to think that I may have to change the tubing that I've been using.

The only other person to notice this off taste is my g/f. and that was only after I pointed it out, so maybe I am either too anal about my tastes (nahh...not possible), or just crazy(not the first time THAT accusation has been made !)

If you have been using bleach on your last few batches I think that would've gotten rid of any excess iodophor, so either you are a imaging the flavor or it's coming from something other than the old iodophor.

Back