beer gun sort-of...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WaboMa

Reaction score
Hey guns so I wanted to get a blichmann beer gun or a CPF... $70-$100... ehhhhh no. I've seen the we need no stinking beer gun forum but I wanted to purge with CO2. This is what I came up with, first I took 2 CO2 check valves (which I already had) and a CO2 Y. I will flip the Y upside down and have gas and liquid coming into the the 2 check valves. On the other will be a corny diptube...I wanted to use a compression fitting to secure it... but could not find a compression or flare nut to work... So i used hose and hose clamps. Any problems you guys/gals can think of before I put this baby into action. For example CO2 and liquid running through the same tube...or any other oversight I've missed. Thanks

Cost of equipment
CO2 Check valve $9.95 (2) Already had
Chrome Y split $7.99
Hose clamps $0.79
Corny keg dip tube $12.95 Already had
1/2" liquid hose $0.79/foot (12)
Total cost $51.90
Maybe worth spending the extra $20 for the CPF, but I had most of the parts already.

gas check valve.jpg

ysplitter.jpg

20130302_125112.jpg

20130302_131337.jpg

So it worked out, sort of. I had to have the pressure down to 1 psi, then had to pull the co2 release on the corny just to make sure the pressure wasn't so high. It still foamed more than I wanted... maybe my kegs are little over carbed... :confused: Anyways it worked for the most part, I'm going to keep playing with it.

Yeah I agree with Craig, you need a stopper on the fill tube to maintain pressure inside the bottles while filling. Also, ensure that both the beer and the bottles are as cold as possible while filling, to try and keep as much CO2 as possible in solution.

I did chill the bottles, but I did not use a stopper. After the problems I had, I was considering it... Why does the Blichmann not need a stopper?

I'm no fluid dynamics expert, but I do own a Blichmann beer gun. I think you're getting an amount of turbulence in the beer when it hits the Y, which is what is probably contributing to your foaming. The Blichmann beer gun has a straight shot from the end of the beer line right into the bottom of the bottle, minimizing turbulence.

Back