What temperature to use for figuring priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scarlessmeanie

Reaction score
So I have always been confused... When you're making your priming sugar solution, what temperature do you use for to figure the amount of sugar: The current temperature of the beer, or the highest temperature the beer hit during fermentation? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :mug:

I'll wait for the people who know to answer, but until then, since my beer conditions at room temperature after fermentation is complete, I use room temp as my beer temp.

You always use fermentation temperature, or the highest temperature the beer has been at during/after fermentation.

The reason is that those calculators try to guestimate the probable amount of residual co2 in the beer. Cooler temperatures hold on to co2 better. Since no new co2 is generated after fermentation slows or ends, but it still will off-gas through the airlock, you use the highest temperature the beer was at during fermentation or after. You can cold crash after that, and still use the higher temperature since no new co2 will be dissolved in the beer.

I hope that makes sense!

You always use fermentation temperature, or the highest temperature the beer has been at during/after fermentation...

Yes! For some reason the tables and the nomograms confused the crap out of me until I remembered that the fermented beer was more-or-less already saturated with CO2 - the solubility of which is a strong function of temperature.

Maybe due to my own poor reading comprehension but I didn't get that clear of an explanation from the usual books (Palmer, Papazian).

Now I just use the current room temperature (I don't cold crash before kegging or bottling).

Back