What is your favorite commerical beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhCrap

Reaction score
With all the 'is this beer overrated or that beer to yellow' why not t say what your favorite is of the commercial / craft beers

Today mine is Fullers London's Pride:)
Friday it'll be Hob Goblin (I pass the shop were its only €2 a 500 ml bottle)
There my 2 at the minute

Really hard question. I really like Sam Adams Black Lager, but that is such a big brewery. I got hooked on black lagers when I visited New Zealand. They have 2 large breweries there and the black lagers are like the bud light here, but they actually have taste! I've been trying to find them in the states and it seems Sam Adams is the only widely distributed one that I like.
Other than that, I really like Blue Point Oatmeal Stout. It is also great mixed with their blueberry ale to make a black and blue. Yum!

that's a tough question to answer. it's like asking me whether i like my right or left ball better. Can't i just like them both? There are way too many great beers out there to pick favorites- my favorite?- the one in front of me!

spearko520 said:
my favorite?- the one in front of me!

:)
Ok then your favorite at the minute, I know I like many different beers but currently I like the 2 above

Can't stop buying this even though it's out of my price range. I've never had a beer that smelled more like kettle wort and tasted the way I picture wort should. I long to make something this good.
0576.Stone-Sublimely-Self_2D00_Righteous-Ale.jpg

Like most people, i'm sure my favs will change in a month or two but right now nothing seems to beat this:

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier.jpg

For me, it's really hard to beat Pliny the Elder. For me it's the benchmark other DIPAs have to live up to. And living in SoCal it's only marginally difficult to find.

For something more readily available from a (well stocked) grocery store I'd say probably SNPA or Torpedo Extra IPA.

GI is still making some good beers, even after the buy out.

Goose Island Matilda

ts_Goose_Island_Beers.jpg

There's too many great beers out there for me to ever be able to nail just one down. It really depends on the mood. I probably have one favorite commercial from most beer styles, but that's about it.

I love drinking local beers. Last night, I was in Chattanooga and drank Terminal Brewing 's Maibock and Oatmeal Stout - both were very good, especially the stout. The night before, I had a SweetWater pale ale, brewed in Atlanta, in Dalton, Georgia. Also very enjoyable.

Revvy said:
There's too many great beers out there for me to ever be able to nail just one down. It really depends on the mood. I probably have one favorite commercial from most beer styles, but that's about it.

Ok what is your favorite style of beer

And what would suit your mood today?

GI is still making some good beers, even after the buy out.

Goose Island Matilda

It's really hard for me to get behind Goose Island products now that they are owned by Bud. I know quality hasn't suffered (yet) but I prefer to support the independents. I also am not crazy about the recent trend of the big guys buying out the most popular micros (5 of the top 20 in the last year or so).

As to the question, I too probably have a favorite for every style but, since I've spent the last few months mostly working on my funky/slightly sour farmhouse ales, I'm going to say Fantome saison.

spearko520 said:
jolly pumpkin calabeza blanca and bocker brouwerij cuvee de jacobins. way to put my balls in a vise!

Lol
Was the question the vice or was the vice trying to figure out how to spell them :) joking slowly tightening, tightening

My fav's are two locals.. Racer 5 and Pliny da Elder

I had some Racer 5 for the first on Monday night. Tasty beer.

I agree with so many others though, it's almost impossible for me to pick one 'favorite'. I love Belgian beers, and so I can always enjoy a nice Delirium Tremens or especially the Delirium Nocturnum. Right now I'm drinking the Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye and Half Acre Over Ale, both of which are very good. It's all depending on my mood.

I had some Racer 5 for the first on Monday night. Tasty beer.

I agree with so many others though, it's almost impossible for me to pick one 'favorite'. I love Belgian beers, and so I can always enjoy a nice Delirium Tremens or especially the Delirium Nocturnum. Right now I'm drinking the Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye and Half Acre Over Ale, both of which are very good. It's all depending on my mood.

I assume you've had this beer many times? Is it supposed to taste "cidery?" Maybe i got an old bottle or something, but when i started the bomber i was in love with it, but by the time i finished i wasn't too impressed. I wanna try the Nocturnum though.

My current favorite is Russian River R2H56. Prior to that it was RR Supplication and prior to that it was Stone Levitation.

I really like Pliney but I'm kind of on a break from hop bombs at the moment. I haven't tried SN Hoptimum this year, but I personally find SN Torpedo to be pretty meh.

I assume you've had this beer many times? Is it supposed to taste "cidery?" Maybe i got an old bottle or something, but when i started the bomber i was in love with it, but by the time i finished i wasn't too impressed. I wanna try the Nocturnum though.

It should not have a cidery taste. You might have gotten a bad bottle. It happens from time to time, as they bottle condition their beer. Extremely rare, but I've had one bad bottle.

It should not have a cidery taste. You might have gotten a bad bottle. It happens from time to time, as they bottle condition their beer. Extremely rare, but I've had one bad bottle.

Well, the bottles looked old and dusty. It's one of those beers i'd seen for a long time and then finally decided to pull the trigger. I have a brewpub near me that carries it, so i might have to give it another day in court at some point.
What's the difference with the Nocturnum?

The Nocturnum is a much darker ale, more malty, a little spicy. It's absolutely delicious. Also I believe it's a little stronger. I find it to be a better beer personally, but I love the Tremens. I can drink those all night long, while the Nocturnum is a bit heavier - 1 and done on that for me.

Commercial = humongous brewery with saturated nationwide distribution, widely available in regular grocery stores and non-beer-snob bars?

Blue Moon. Boddington's. Chimay red.

Commercial = made in any non-personal-dwelling type facility that has a brewer's license to sell beer?

Rampage Imperial IPA from Black Diamond Brewery in Concord, CA.

Lagunitas Undercover Investigation Shut-Down Ale.

The Nocturnum is a much darker ale, more malty, a little spicy. It's absolutely delicious. Also I believe it's a little stronger. I find it to be a better beer personally, but I love the Tremens. I can drink those all night long, while the Nocturnum is a bit heavier - 1 and done on that for me.

Sounds right up my alley. Thanks.

Youngs Double Chocolate Stout, but I havent had half the beers your guys have mentioned so far.

Straight6TT said:
Youngs Double Chocolate Stout, but I havent had half the beers your guys have mentioned so far.

Had my 1st one of them last week, it won't be my last :)

It changes depending on m mood. Right. Ow it is Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin. Come October it will be Southern Tier Pumpking.

I think Sweetwater 420 Pale Ale is just about perfect... great flavor, not too heavy, easy to drink... I have pretty varied tastes from Pils and Helles to barley wine, so it is hard to choose

I also enjoy too many good beers to select one as a hands down winner. I've been sitting in a warm office all day so I could really go for a nice, icy blond or wheat beer. Maybe a light saison. Immediately followed by a quad.

So many I'd like to mention.

Sam Adams Boston Brick Red sticks in my mind because it was super tasty and I can't get it here. Great Lakes' Eliot Ness and Sam Smith's Imperial Stout are good contenders though. And I second the love for SA's Black Lager.

Straight6TT said:

Awesome beer! I like it better from the can so you get the nitro taste in it.

Marshall Atlas IPA right now. An the standby is Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I like lots of other styles, but these 2 are my go to at least until I find something I like better (Flying Dog is moving up the ranks, especially their Snake Dog IPA).

Back