Cleaning & Sanitizing bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildOnions

Reaction score
hey guys,

brewed my 1st batch (NB Patersbier extract kit) about 2.5 weeks ago, and am looking to bottle this weekend. Just wanted to know how everyone cleans and sanitizes bottles, since I'm about to do that and there seems to be a lot of ways to go about it (specifically the sanitation). Thanks for the help!

I use Star San, a really good no-rinse sanitizer. If mixed properly (1oz to 5 gallons of water,) a little bit left in the bottom of your bottle doesn't effect the flavor of your beer and keeps your bottles sanitized. I typically mix a bucket up on brewing and bottling day, and soak my bottles for about 30 seconds.

For cleaning I use PBW (Powdered Brewery Wash.)

Hello and congrats on your first brew:rockin: I usually use a container like a rubbermaid tub or if I've been lazy and have a ridiculous amount of bottles I'll clean out the tub and put them in there. Enough hot water to cover the bottles and a generous amount of oxyclean or sun brand cleaner and let them sit for about an hour. After that the labels should come right off or with minimal effort. Then I'll hit them with a bottle brush. I usually have a bucket of star san laying around so I'll give the bottles a minute or so in there and then set them up to dry until I have everything else set up to bottle. All of this is made easier if you rinse out your bottles right after you empty them. It'll save you some extras scrubbing.

Oxy Clean free for cleaning and delabeling. I rinse most bottles immediately after pouring so that takes care of 90% of the mess. If there is a bunch of crap stuck in the bottom I get out the brush and scrub. If it is a PITA i just pitch the bottle, not worth the risk. Squirt bottle full of Star-San. 4-5 sprays in each bottle and swirl it once, spray all the tops at the end. This is the last thing i do, once the last bottle is sprayed I start bottleing. Sit over my dishwasher and pour out the extra. I have done my last 8 batches this way without any problems. I used to do the full bucket, but it takes a lot of time to fill an enitre bottle and pour it out.

Just a reminder, starsan is effective when still wet on the bottles. Don't fear the foam and don't let them completely dry.

1. Soak in hot PBW or oxyclean free or generic oxyclean.
2. Starsan, acid helps remove hard water stains.
3. Dry and store.
4 starsan day of bottling. Just dunk it to get inside and outside wet.

And as you drink the bottles from the first brew, try to always clean your bottles AFTER use (i.e. after consumption), and then you need only sanitize them immediately before bottling a new brew.

Little steps like this that leave you with clean bottles on bottling day can really speed up the bottling process. That and a bench capper.

I rinse the bottles really well with hot water shortly after I drink out of them. Then I just store them until I need them. On bottling day, I put them in the dishwasher run the heavy wash/sanitize cycle without soap or jetdry and leave them in there until I bottle. Really easy and I haven't had any problems yet.

Back