Brisbane, Australia - where can I find good beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kagythings

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm in China having a hard time with internet but will be able to check this thread occasionally while I'm here. I'm traveling this Wednesday to Brisbane Australia and wanted to know if any HBT members know of places to go for a good brew. I'll be there for about 12 days before heading to Sydney and then Melbourne so tips on any of those three cities would be great but mainly Brisbane since I'm spending the most time there. I recall reading a magazine that mentioned some quality brew pubs in Australia but that was a few months ago and I don't have that magazine. Thanks for the help in advance, hope you're all doing well.

Chad

thanks Stellarstar. I'll look it up when I get there at the end of the month. Much appreciated. China has been tough to find a good beer where I am in Shanghai. I have Chimay at my hotel but other than that (at $9 per beer) I have pretty basic lager brews. I'm looking forward to my Australia tour. Should be fun and have a better selection of beer. Thank.

Hi everyone. I'm in China having a hard time with internet but will be able to check this thread occasionally while I'm here. I'm traveling this Wednesday to Brisbane Australia and wanted to know if any HBT members know of places to go for a good brew. I'll be there for about 12 days before heading to Sydney and then Melbourne so tips on any of those three cities would be great but mainly Brisbane since I'm spending the most time there. I recall reading a magazine that mentioned some quality brew pubs in Australia but that was a few months ago and I don't have that magazine. Thanks for the help in advance, hope you're all doing well.

Chad

I lived in Brisbane and Sydney for sometime between 07-09. Some insights based on that.

Brisbane:
Unless things have changed in the last 4 years, there are only few places in in Brisbane for really good beer. One is The Belgian Beer Cafe at the crossing of Mary and Edwards in downtown. Four/five Belgian beers (mostly Leffe) on tap and a good selection in bottles. They have very great food as well (especially the mussels).

Around Eagle St pier close to downtown, you will find a few pubs/restaurants with decent beer selections, and more importantly, great views of the river. Pig n Whistle, a British-style pub is the most prominent there. Apart from the usual Kilkennys and Guinness, they do often have Old Speckled Hen on tap.

Also check out the pub in the
Regatta Hotel on Coronation Drive in Toowong if you can mostly for historical value (also a nice view of the river). There is a bottle-shop called 1st Choice Liquor right next to it, where you can find a very good selection of wines and beer as well.

A word about the local Queensland beer, XXXX. It is really bad - the saying goes that you don't even get drunk on it, but it gives you a headache!

But do try Boags, Cascade (both from Tasmania), or Little Creatures Pale Ale (Perth/Fremantle) if you find them on tap or bottle. Beer from Coopers isn't bad either. Very little other micro-brewing activity (that I know of) in Brisbane.

Sydney: You *have* to go to The Local Taphouse at the corner of South Dowling and Flinders St (in Darlinghurst neighborhood close to the cricket and football grounds). The best selection of craft beers by far I have seen anywhere in Australia. Other than Australian crafts, they often have beers from New Zealand, Germany and sometime, US. Great ambiance, and food, and the bartenders are usually very knowledge-able about beer.

The other place to visit in Sydney is the 'Rocks' - an area just below the Harbor Bridge with narrow roads, and eclectic shops.
It is a bit touristy, but do stop at The Australian hotel (http://www.australianheritagehotel.com/) while there. Decent beer selection, and a good place to try pizza with emu, ostrich, crocodile and other exotic meat toppings :)
If you are in a mood for German beers and food, there is also Löwenbräu Keller in the Rocks.

I also used to like going to The Prague on Keller St in Kings Cross (an area I am sure you will find most interesting - don't take children there :D) for Czech beer and food. Unas Restaurant on Victoria St in Darlinghurst is good for German/Austrian/Swiss beers and food. (this stretch of Victoria St has a number of nice cafes and restaurants as well. Once saw Russel Crowe sipping a cappuccino in one of these places).

Also, not a beer recommendation - if you get to Manly Beach in Sydney, do have dinner or lunch at Rumps and Ribs for some of the best steaks (and ribs).

------

Hope this helps. Do let me know if you need any other recommendations. Australia is a really fun place (though a tad expensive).

Here's a pretty definitive list for Brisbane
Link

Good thread for Melbourne
Link

Ok thread for Sydney
Link

Australia doesn't have the beer scene of the US but you should find plenty of good and interesting beer at the places mentioned in these threads.

:)

Thanks for the tips everyone. I spent a little time on the Gold Coast at Surfers Paradise and now I'm in downtown Brisbane. I've taken a liking to Little Creatures Pale Ale so far. I'm not a fan of XXXX or VB so the local mass produced beer is out... ha ha, who would've guessed that to happen :) I'll look into some of the other options this week and I'll have to stop to see what Pig & Whistle have on hand since the last time I was out here a few years ago. Thanks again. Take care.

James Squire Brewhouse
115/127 Russell Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
portlandhotel.com.au

I've got a six pack of the Squire IPA in the fridge right now from your recommendation. It's the only IPA I've found here so far. I miss the good selection of craft beer at home, something to look forward to once I'm home in a few weeks. Thanks Stellarstar.

Back