Quick bottling question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerbelac

Reaction score
Technically, a priming question.

Here's my recipe (for those interested):

Boiled 2 lb dark brown sugar in 2 qt apple juice (Market Pantry 100% Apple Juice), cooled. Transferred to fermenter, added juice from a second 2 qt bottle to fill to 1 gal, 3 cinnamon sticks into fermenter, pitched Red Star Pasteur Champagne yeast, fermented since 08/20/11.

Now, it's time to bottle, & I don't have any corn sugar; from some investigating, I've come up with a plan to boil a little over 3.5 teaspoons of table sugar in 1/2 cup or so of water, boil, cool, & bottle as I would beer.

Any thoughts/suggestions/major objections? Hoping for some input quick-like.

Technically, a priming question.

Here's my recipe (for those interested):

Boiled 2 lb dark brown sugar in 2 qt apple juice (Market Pantry 100% Apple Juice), cooled. Transferred to fermenter, added juice from a second 2 qt bottle to fill to 1 gal, 3 cinnamon sticks into fermenter, pitched Red Star Pasteur Champagne yeast, fermented since 08/20/11.

Now, it's time to bottle, & I don't have any corn sugar; from some investigating, I've come up with a plan to boil a little over 3.5 teaspoons of table sugar in 1/2 cup or so of water, boil, cool, & bottle as I would beer.

Any thoughts/suggestions/major objections? Hoping for some input quick-like.

Sounds interesting. What will the brown sugar do the the taste? Please give us an update when it's ready to drink. I made some cider last year, but couldn't kill the yeast. about 1/2 gallon got to sour to drink. The other 2 gallons were great.

For 1 gallon, use about 1 ozs of table sugar or brown sugar. Should give you a lively cider.

Another alternate is to use half a pint (8 fl ozs) of apple juice.

........ I just read your ingredient list. In 1 gallon that would give you something close to 1.140. If that fermented out fully (to 0.990), that would give you close to 20%. I think it only goes to 15%, so you probably have a very sweet product that will not carbonate.

Check out Edworts Apfelwein recipe. You have used a lot of sugar for just one gallon. Edworts recipe calls for 2 lbs for the 5 gal batch and gets 8.5% alcohol. You haven't stated if you took gravity readings or not. I believe the alcohol percentage would be above the ability of the yeast and not sure if it will be able to carbonate this for you. That being said, I carbonate about half of my 5 gallon batches into beer bottles and the balance goes into wine bottles. It is good either way. For carbonation I carbonate the same way I carbonate beer.

Back