American IPA Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AwesomeSquad, you PM'd me about the yeast character of my batch.

I noticed that my earlier post downplayed the Belgian 1388 character in my version of this ale, however that comment needs revision.

In fact, after a bit of aging the initial 'young' hoppiness of the beer died back just a bit to reveal a pleasant belgian yeast character beneath. Its quite a mouthful of flavor. I was thrilled this turned out to be a great BPA recipe!

if I want to make 2.5 gal AG from this, would it be okay if I just half'd everything?

thanks!

What do you think about adding some honey to dry it out? I was thinking about a nice crisp summer IPA.

That would be interesting. My goal is to make the ABV a little lower without changing the body and flavor. These things are so good I want to keep drinking them. The problem is after a few I am pretty saucy :drunk:. It would be nice to take this recipe and somehow turn it into more of a session beer. Probably not possible without sacrificing the flavor, which I don't want to do.

my pacman yeast strain is showing signs of wear at its 5th generation and i'm brewing today, so which would you recommmend: S-04 or US-05?

i'm making a similar IPA to this one, and those are my two backups with the LHBS closed on Sunday. any advice appreciated!

after a bit of study and contemplation, i think i will go us-05. but i'd still like to hear any experiences with this strain in this IPA...

EDIT: Since I know there are quite a few Pacman users in this thread, head on over to this forum if you're feeling helpful to give me some advice on my pacman strain gone awry...the strain has apparently mutated to a "no foam" or "low foam" variety like wine yeast.

So I love Dogfish 60, probably my favorite general beer right now, and I've read through almost this whole thread and had to give this one a try. This is only my 4th batch ever and my very first AG. I used the OP recipe exactly except my LHBS didnt have Simcoe so he sold me Millenium as a replacement. I used this in the boil only. I since ordered Simcoe for the dry hopping. Also, I pitched on a Wyeast 1056 yeast cake from a SN Celebration Ale clone that I transfered on brew day. Fermentation was huge! Had to put it on a blowoff rig for four days solid. My OG going into the fermenter was 1.076 so I think I got better efficiency than I expected to.

Kept this 11 days in primary and just last night racked to a keg to secondary and dry hop (in a tied off nylon knee high). I plan to leave in this keg for 7-10 days, then cold crash and possibly carb and serve out of the same keg???, knowing my first pint will probably be undrinkable with yeast and trub but then hopefully fine. And I figure if I do need to pull the hops due to intensity/grassy flavors, I should be able to fish it out relatively easy. Anybody have any opinion/experience with my game plan for this?

I can't wait to try this beer! Thanks Yooper for the awesome recipe!

You can leave the hops in the keg until its empty. The cold temps tend to slow down the process and keep off flavors from developing. I have a IIPA in the fridge for roughly 4 weeks, that still have the hops in it, no grassy flavors.

At keging time I will usually add gelatin and my drop hops, then right in to the fridge on the gas. By the time it carbs up, it crystal clear, and the dry hops have done their thing. It usually works out quite nice.

Just bottle this tonight, brewed 1/15/11, dry hopped 1/29/11 bottled today 2/5/11. Finished at 1.014. Tasted my final reading tonight and WOW :mug: It already tastes amazing! Bottled one case of 22's one case of 12's and had 3.5 12's outside. These 3 are lined up for my weekly tastings! :rockin: Then time to break into the cases! Also found a couple brand new fermenters hiding in the closet so I am going to have to line this one up again this week. Brewin a wit tomorrow for some variety and since SWMBO is not an IPA fan so need to keep her happy!

Newbie brewer here, I have been reading the boards for awhile and decided to sign up and post on here. THis was my second batch I have ever brewed, so I went with the extract version.

Ran into one problem, I wrote the recipe down wrong before I went to the LHBS. I didnt get any simcoe because they were out, but I told the Darren at the store that the simcoe was only needed to dry hop, so we decided he could get it in by the time it was needed.

We realized this as we were brewing, we had an extra oz. of warrrior so we basically used it inplace of the simcoe. So there is a total of 2oz.'s of warrior in the wort.

We now have the simcoe and will plan to dry hop with it and the amarillo per the recipe.

I understand this will not be the DFH clone but wondering if it is still going to be a tasty beer?!

Thanks to yooper for posting the recipe, I hope to make it the right way next time:)

Cheers!!!

I'm sure it will make really tasty beer no matter what.

Did you start after the 101 class recently?

Newbie brewer here, I have been reading the boards for awhile and decided to sign up and post on here. THis was my second batch I have ever brewed, so I went with the extract version.

Ran into one problem, I wrote the recipe down wrong before I went to the LHBS. I didnt get any simcoe because they were out, but I told the Darren at the store that the simcoe was only needed to dry hop, so we decided he could get it in by the time it was needed.

We realized this as we were brewing, we had an extra oz. of warrrior so we basically used it inplace of the simcoe. So there is a total of 2oz.'s of warrior in the wort.

We now have the simcoe and will plan to dry hop with it and the amarillo per the recipe.

I understand this will not be the DFH clone but wondering if it is still going to be a tasty beer?!

Thanks to yooper for posting the recipe, I hope to make it the right way next time:)

Cheers!!!

Yea I went. I've been brewing for a few months before it but still wanted to go just to see if I could pick up any tips or tricks. They are very dedicated to the HB community there.

Def, they yield a fare amount of dumb questions from me!! The place was swamped yesterday...

It's nice to see home brew finally taking off in our area. I think a big push was the brew masters show.

what's the best, most economical, way to contain pellet hops while dry hopping in the secondary? They seem to dissolve easily

Does anyone have a preference over leaf vs. pellet? I've only used pellet

Do we mash-out on this recipe, if so what temp? Not much for notes on AG. I am planning on mash-in at 153 for 60 min, then sparge to get 6.5 gallons wort. Also is it, the usual hour or so for sparge time?
Any info would be great, thanks.

You can leave the hops in the keg until its empty. The cold temps tend to slow down the process and keep off flavors from developing. I have a IIPA in the fridge for roughly 4 weeks, that still have the hops in it, no grassy flavors.

At keging time I will usually add gelatin and my drop hops, then right in to the fridge on the gas. By the time it carbs up, it crystal clear, and the dry hops have done their thing. It usually works out quite nice.
thanks, lyacovett. I'm gonna ride out the dry hops and see how it goes. Got a couple more days conditioning with hops at room temp then off to chill and gas! Man, I can't wait for this one!

I find dry hopping in the primary the best way to keep stuff out of the secondary. When you rack you can strain out the hop debris. However, it makes yeast washing a tad more difficult, but adding an extra wash is all you need.

yea, I'm getting all of my kinks worked out on my preferred dryhop method. So far I only dryhopped in keg, with pellets just tossed in (a SN Celebration clone). Yea, big mistake that I will never do again without some kind of filter. Kept clogging the poppet valves with hops. It did make for an awesome fresh hop flavor though. On this one, I'm hopping in the keg again but I put the pellets in a sanitized nylon knee high that I dropped in. I hope I don't lose any of that wonderful hop intensity this way, but if I do lose a little, it's worth it not to have to de-gas and clean a clogged diptube on every pint!

I used pellet hops, and I plan on dry hopping in the primary. I don't plan on using a secondary at all. Any thoughts on this?

Seems like opinions are mixed on here wether people are using secondaries or not. I would love to hear yoopers thoughts on this ! :) (it his her recipe!)

I used pellet hops, and I plan on dry hopping in the primary. I don't plan on using a secondary at all. Any thoughts on this?

Seems like opinions are mixed on here wether people are using secondaries or not. I would love to hear yoopers thoughts on this ! :) (it his her recipe!)

I used to always do a secondary- as I'm an old winemaker and it's second nature. But for the last few years, I've been doing primary only with dryhopping at the end of primary (in week 3) and then kegging directly from there.

I haven't noticed a bit of difference, to be honest.

Did a second batch of this, after my first one was not quite right. Came out awesome. The citrus and/or grapefruit flavors of the simcoe and amarillo are awesome. I like this better than the DFH original!! I also used Denny's Favorite yeast. I am really starting to like it a lot!

Thanks again Yooper!

Im trying to make the extract version of this recipe, but can't find a store that has all of the ingredients I need in one place. Does anyone know of a store that has all of it in stock?

Northern Brewer and Rebel Brewer always have the needed items in stock and you usually get your order in 3-4 business days.

XtremeBrew said:
Northern Brewer and Rebel Brewer always have the needed items in stock and you usually get your order in 3-4 business days.

I couldn't find simcoe at Northerns site. I live in TN, so there would be tax from Rebel. Any other stores? Or people I could buy from?

I just tasted my batch of this. I replaced the amber malt with crystal 60. Still not an exact copy, but the carmel and hops do come through quite well. I definitely get a citrus/grapefruit flavor, but it's a lot stronger than DFH 60min. Still should make for a good summer beer.

I still have to crash and keg it so I'm hoping some of the flavors will mellow and meld more with time and some cold conditioning.

Thanks Yooper for the recipe!

Alright finally tapped my keg of this after about 5 days on the gas. First glass was cloudy and yeasty as expected since I'm serving out of the same keg I secondaried and dry hopped in. afterwards though very clean and clear.I have to say this beer is amazing! My best clone yet! I even fooled my friend who is a huge dogfish fan.

I did the ag recipe and dry hopped in a nylon stocking. The bag is still in the keg, no grassy flavors yet. This beer is delicious! I already put my grain and hop order in to do another batch as I can see this won't last very long between my friend s and I. Highly recommend this recipe.thanks again yooper!

Just brewed this today. First time using all my outdoor stuff (propane burner and 12 gallon pot). Must say it makes the brew day so much easier. I decided to add the Warrior every minute and then Simcoe and Amarillo every 2-3 minutes or so. Everything seemed to go fine, but had some trouble cooling it down with the wort chiller. Since I have such a big brew pot and only boiled 2.5 gallons there was only about 2 inches of liquid in the kettle.

Another issue that has me a bit worried is my yeast pitching temp. I put the wort in the fermenter at around 70 degrees, and then topped off with water to about 5 gallons, hit 1.70 OG so was pretty happy, but the temperature of the water was around 55 degrees after all was said and done. Is that too cold to pitch at? I didnt really know how to raise the temperature after everything was in there. I have the bucket near my heater now to try and get the temp back up to about 68 or so. Currently it says 60 on the outside thermometer. Anyone have any insight on whether it was bad to pitch at a cooler temperature like that?

I just kegged my ag brew. Its in my poney sanke keg carbonating in the keggerator right now :) I took a sample, it should be great, however is was my first ag brew lol.

I couldn't find simcoe at Northerns site. I live in TN, so there would be tax from Rebel. Any other stores? Or people I could buy from?

Austin Homebrew Supply has them in stock, I just checked their site. I forgot NB was out of stock on them at the moment.

I'm going to make this and use my new homemade Randall the Enamel Animal... filtered through 2 oz of whole Cascade hops on the way to the glass.

IMG_01701.JPG

Just brewed this today. First time using all my outdoor stuff (propane burner and 12 gallon pot). Must say it makes the brew day so much easier. I decided to add the Warrior every minute and then Simcoe and Amarillo every 2-3 minutes or so. Everything seemed to go fine, but had some trouble cooling it down with the wort chiller. Since I have such a big brew pot and only boiled 2.5 gallons there was only about 2 inches of liquid in the kettle.

Another issue that has me a bit worried is my yeast pitching temp. I put the wort in the fermenter at around 70 degrees, and then topped off with water to about 5 gallons, hit 1.70 OG so was pretty happy, but the temperature of the water was around 55 degrees after all was said and done. Is that too cold to pitch at? I didnt really know how to raise the temperature after everything was in there. I have the bucket near my heater now to try and get the temp back up to about 68 or so. Currently it says 60 on the outside thermometer. Anyone have any insight on whether it was bad to pitch at a cooler temperature like that?

It is fine to pitch at 55. I bet the yeast are going crazy right now as I am writing this. Also, if you have a 12 gal pot why aren't you doing full boils?

OK, so this is only my second time brewing, but I followed the directions very carefully: steeped 1 lb of crystal malt in 2.5 gal water, discarded grains, added 9.5lb of pale malt extract, continuously hopped for 60 min., chilled, strained it into fermenter, aerated, and topped up to 5 gal w/ bottled water (tap water here is terrible). I "turkey basted" a sample into a cylinder and checked the OG, and it read 1.022 - WAY off from the 1.07 I was expecting from the recipe. This is the first time I've used the hydrometer brewing, but I don't see how I could be so inept as to not be able to read a scale. Is it even possible to have an OG that low after adding 9.5lbs of extract to a 5 gal batch? Was I reading a sample at the inappropriate time? Should I have not strained it? I didn't stir it after adding the water, but I figured the churning action of adding sever gal. of water to the fermenter should have mixed it up. Help!

OK, so this is only my second time brewing, but I followed the directions very carefully: steeped 1 lb of crystal malt in 2.5 gal water, discarded grains, added 9.5lb of pale malt extract, continuously hopped for 60 min., chilled, strained it into fermenter, aerated, and topped up to 5 gal w/ bottled water (tap water here is terrible). I "turkey basted" a sample into a cylinder and checked the OG, and it read 1.022 - WAY off from the 1.07 I was expecting from the recipe. This is the first time I've used the hydrometer brewing, but I don't see how I could be so inept as to not be able to read a scale. Is it even possible to have an OG that low after adding 9.5lbs of extract to a 5 gal batch? Was I reading a sample at the inappropriate time? Should I have not strained it? I didn't stir it after adding the water, but I figured the churning action of adding sever gal. of water to the fermenter should have mixed it up. Help!

I would first check your hydrometer in distilled water. Also, sometimes when you top off your wort with water it doesn't mix completely. This could cause an error in your reading.

Back