Second infected batch in a row????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hardball

Reaction score
I have made 2 bad batches in a row now and I am at a loss for words??? I am doing nothing different than before when I made OK beer. I am going to get a new primary bucket and see if that helps.

It is a real kick in the balls when you spend $50, wait 6 weeks and then find out you failed (again). Any suggestions would be appreciated. I think I am diligent on my sanitation and use iodophor in my bottles (no rinse).

Help.

Did you taste the batches at different stages of the process? When did the fermentation stop looking normal?

I would suspect the primary bucket and/or any hoses. Small defects in plastic can harbor bacteria that sanitizer has a hard time reaching.

- magno

If you post a recipe and specifics, we could help you narrow down your problem. Describe the infection- bad smell/taste (band-aid, cider-y, mediciny, etc), things growing, etc. That will give us enough detail to help.

It is expensive and time consuming to have to pitch the batches!

I had both tasted by my local brewpub brewer and he commented they both were infected. They have definite off-flavors. The fermentation temps have been right on, everything has gone extremely well until the end?? I will try the new primary, if that doesn't work, I may have to give up the hobby....getting hard to justify to wife spending $50 and making bad beer.

Both were kits, ESB from morebeer.com and the other was a SNPA from LHBS. SNPA had a metallic off-flavor (infected), ESB has a husky flavor and feels slimy. Nothing was growing in either primary or secondary. Like I said everything appeared normal.

What kind of off flavors?

If the beer tastes decent coming out of primary, it is unlikely that the problem is there. I would not suspect the bottles.

Are there rings around your carboy or bottles?

Hardball said:
I have made 2 bad batches in a row now and I am at a loss for words??? I am doing nothing different than before when I made OK beer.
Help.

You may not have changed anything, but water company may have... like chloramine instead of chlorine, so boiling doesn't get rid of it, or some other change? Also, is your strength of iodophor good - if you go strong are you using boiled water to rinse?

LouT said:
You may not have changed anything, but water company may have... like chloramine instead of chlorine, so boiling doesn't get rid of it, or some other change? Also, is your strength of iodophor good - if you go strong are you using boiled water to rinse?

I use RO water from the store (5 gallons). The iodophor is 2 capfuls in 5 gals (recommended). I was checking my primary and the inside feels pretty rough. The next batch I will use a newly purchased primary and hope for the best.

Hardball said:
SNPA had a metallic off-flavor (infected), ESB has a husky flavor and feels slimy.

What do you use for a brewpot? How much (if any) grains were involved and how did you crack them?

knights of Gambrinus said:
What do you use for a brewpot? How much (if any) grains were involved and how did you crack them?

SS brewpot and they were both kits which has the grains already cracked.

Do you sanitize your hoses and hydrometer when you sanitize your primary? (I'm just trying to think through the process). The kits from AHS are a-1, so the ingredients are good. Do you make a starter, or pitch from a vial, or dry? If you make a starter, is your container sanitized? How about your bottles and caps? And airlock?

If it tasted ok after primary, I would think it's your secondary or bottles. Or the siphoning tubing. If it tasted off right out of primary, I would suspect it would be your primary.

I'm not questioning your technique at all- just trying to think what could be the problem. Don't give up- you CAN make good beer. It might be something simple that we've overlooked, that's why I"m asking all the questions.

I clean (soap, water, rinse) and sanitize everything (iodophor). I don't make starters, if I use wylabs, I shake and dump or if I use dry, I just sprinkle on top. Clean all bottles after drinking and store upside down, when it is time to bottle hit them with the iodophor solution and let them drip dry on drying rack.

I know the technique is good as I have made OK beer previously. I am stumped as well. I will buy the new primary and bottling bucket and see if that works.

Thanks for the help everyone. Any more suggestions let me know.

Try using a different sanitizer. I work in a food manufacturing facility and we change sanitizers every 6 to 7 months. Bacteria can become very immune when you use the same cleaning and sanitizing agents over and over again. I would find another chemical type, and shock your whole system!

beeraggie said:
Try using a different sanitizer. I work in a food manufacturing facility and we change sanitizers every 6 to 7 months. Bacteria can become very immune when you use the same cleaning and sanitizing agents over and over again. I would find another chemical type, and shock your whole system!

I just started using Iodophor on the last two batches (as per the recommended amount). Before that I was a bleach solution and then rinse guy.

I have a FT Clone in secondary right now and UPS just dropped off AHB IPA I. The FT was in the old equipment, I will brew the IPA in the new buckets.

Two capfuls is perfect amount of iodophor for "no rinse" for 5 gallons of water - it comes out to 15 ml - so I guess it's not that. From memory it's 3 ml of iodophor per gallon of water to get to the 12.5 ppm level for no-rinse.

I guess you have hit the most likely suspect(s)...

Hardball said:
I have made 2 bad batches in a row now and I am at a loss for words??? I am doing nothing different than before when I made OK beer.

I just started using Iodophor on the last two batches (as per the recommended amount). Before that I was a bleach solution and then rinse guy.

Coincidence?

I don't use soap on any of my brewing gear. I know that's a long shot....

I use one-step for my sanitizer (it's a winemaking thing, and I kept with it for beer).

You know the technique and how to sanitize. I'm at a loss to figure it out- I guess new hoses would be a good place to start.

I did buy new hoses before making the last 2 batches so maybe I will replace those (again) along with the buckets.

If your buckets are old and you put stuff in them when you are not using them to ferment beer, plus you clean them with something other than your hand or a sponge, then that is most likely your culprit. You mention that they feel rough, so that's where bacterial is likely to be hiding.

New buckets are in order. When I started brewing again after years off, I did not use the old buckets. I bought new ones. They are pretty cheap compared to a bad batch of beer.

Oh yeah, when you get you new ones, make sure you don't use them to store anything when they not in use. Keep em clean and put the lids back on after they dry completely.

Back