Left 5 Gallons of IoStar Sitting All Week (still good?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltoftheearth

Reaction score
I have kept 5 gallons of IoStar sitting in an open bucket this week, using it to clean bottles from time to time throughout the week.

Is it still good to use? Or does it diminish in strength and/or efficacy?

Iodine based sanitizers generally are only good for about 24 hours...maybe 48 or slightly more if stored air tight. The easiest way to tell, is if it still retains the straw color. If it's faded it's no longer usable...I've had it last a couple weeks in a spray bottle before. But not in larger volumes. BUT the good new is that you can easily "wake it back up" by adding some fresh back into the bucket til it gets to the right color.

Searching I came up with some mention of Iostar being reusable, BUT 5-stars website is sucking now, and I can't find a product faq or tech page/ms data sheet on it.

OOPS, old man reading problem. I have 5 g of Star San in the bucket. :drunk:

For that, if it's cloudy and started out clear it's no longer good. Mixing it with distilled water and keeping it sealed is the best way to store it.

But the best way to test it is to use ph strips if you're ever unsure.

I personally don't keep more than a gallon or 2 pre mixed at any given time, since I only use about 2 gallons on brew day and less on bottling day. 99% of the time I use a quart spray bottle with it mixed with distilled water.

For that, if it's cloudy and started out clear it's no longer good. Mixing it with distilled water and keeping it sealed is the best way to store it.

But the best way to test it is to use ph strips if you're ever unsure.

I personally don't keep more than a gallon or 2 pre mixed at any given time, since I only use about 2 gallons on brew day and less on bottling day. 99% of the time I use a quart spray bottle with it mixed with distilled water.

Just checked. Still clear. Stuff in the spray bottle also very clear. What should ph be?

Back