Mixing priming sugar in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s2cmpugh

Reaction score
Hey everyone. What's the best way to mix the priming sugar in my beer batch to minimize oxidation and maximize even carbonation?

Thanks,
Cris P.

Here's what was discussed today.

Hi Guys,

Next Monday, I'll be bottling my first batch of homebrew (extract; 5 gallons).

My directions say to take the priming sugar, boil it, cool it down, and then add to the bottling pail/carboy. My question is, won't the priming sugar be more concentrated on the bottom and ultimately the first bottles to be filled get more priming sugar than the last ones to be filled?

In my mind, I would think each bottle should get injected with the same amount of priming sugar (calculate how many teaspoon(s) of priming sugar/water should go in each bottle), put that amount in the bottle, add the beer, cap, then set aside to condition.

Can you provide some guidance?

Thanks in advance!

DY

A lot of new brewers think so, but realistically you have 2 cups of sugar water being dilluted by 5 gallons of beer. As the beer rises and swirls into your bottling bucket it is going to mix just fine. I've never had an issue. The other possibility that I recomemend if you are really paranoid, is to put half of your solution in the bottom, then rack on top til you get halfway racked then add the rest. But honestly that's just overkill. It mixes just fine.

Read this, it contains some info for you...

Uneven carbonation is simply a matter of not enough time. The sugar solution integrates itself pretty well when you rack (despite what many new brewers may believe)
BUT, just a tiny difference in temps between bottles in storage can affect the yeasties, speed them up or slow them down. Like if you store them in a closet against a warm wall, the beers closest to the heat source may be a tad warmer than those further way, so thy may carb/condition at slightly different rates. I usually store a batch in 2 seperate locations in my loft 1 case in my bedroom which is a little warmer, and the other in the closet in the lving room, which being in a larger space is a tad cooler, at least according to the thermostat next to that closet. It can be 5-10 degrees warmer in my bedroom. So I usually start with that case at three weeks. Giving the other half a little more time.

Each little bottle is a seperate microcosm, so they will react slightly different to each other. But usually they all will balance out given enough time.

But really with time all the bottles in a batch will carb up...

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

I explain this and more, in my blog, here Revvy's Blog, Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning.

Uneven carbonation is simply a matter of not enough time. The sugar solution integrates itself pretty well when you rack (despite what many new brewers may believe)

If a beer isn't carbed by "x number of weeks" you just have to give them ore time. If you added your sugar, then the beer will carb up eventually, it's really a foolroof process. All beers will carb up eventually. A lot of new brewers think they have to "troubleshoot" a bottling issue, when there really is none, the beer knows how to carb itself. In fact if you run beersmiths carbing calculator, some lower grav beers don't even require additional sugar to reach their minimum level of carbonation. Just time.

Also there is some good info on bottling here Bottling tips for the homebrewer.

When I used to bottle, I added the boiled priming solution (boiled and cooled) to the bottling bucket and then racked the beer on top. I am the paranoid type, so I stirred half way through bottling VERY gently with a sanitized spoon. Never had a problem.

I pour the solution into the bucket and siphon onto it.

Before I start bottling, I gently swirl the beer with the racking cane.

Sometimes I forget to swirl the beer, and have never had a problem.

Thanks guys! Basically, it sounds as though I'm over thinking it and shouldn't worry about it.

Cris P.

Revvy, I have used the method posted on every batch of beer and never had a problem.. HOWEVER, I bottled some skeeter pee yesterday and deviated from the protocol of the recipe a little. rather than pour the sweetening sugar in and mix it up I did it like I was priming a batch of beer. boiled the sugar ( 7 cups) in barely enough water to dissolve it...put it in the bottling bucket and racked the skeeter pee over it.. I bottled the batch and opened a couple later that night. One was sweet as could be... the other was bitter as hell. I ended up opening every bottle and pouring em back into the bottling bucket and stirring it up and rebottling. was easy as I had help doing it but I wonder if the volume of the sugar caused it?

The only time I had a problem with the sugar not mixing well was when I put the sugar solution in the bottling bucket first, then racked the beer on top of it thinking that it would surely get mixed well without the need for additional stirring. I was very wrong. My advice would be to rack onto the sugar solution, but also stir the beer gently but thoroughly. To skip the stirring step is foolish and risky IMO as it is so quick and easy to do.

My last batch I poured the priming solution in first then racked on top or it with the hose positioned so the wort would swirl and mix. Well it didn't mix evenly. Well over a month later and some are completely flat while others are fizzier than diet coke.

If you are *really* concerned about even carbonation, you could use these:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/cooper-s-carbonation-drops.html

They look like candy, and you add one to each bottle before you fill it. There's enough sugar to carb up a single bottle. It's like over-priced magic!

I do know some guys will use these if they are going to keg most of a batch, but bottle off a 6 pack or two.

If I decide to mix it, how long and hard should I mix it?

That's what she said. (sorry... couldn't resist)

I would mix it pretty slowly, and for about a minute. That should be more than enough stirring to get the sugar worked uniformly through the batch. The laws of chemistry say the sugar "wants to" be distributed evenly in solution, so it really doesn't take much.

My last batch I poured the priming solution in first then racked on top or it with the hose positioned so the wort would swirl and mix. Well it didn't mix evenly. Well over a month later and some are completely flat while others are fizzier than diet coke.

That is almost exactly the same result that I got. I knew I was screwed when I tasted the last bit of beer out of the bottling bucket and discovered it to be extremely sweet. I think part of the problem was due to not mixing the corn sugar with sufficient water which resulted in a high density syrup that just laid on the bottom of the bucket instead of mixing readily. Next time I will be dissolving the sugar in a quart of water instead of only a pint.

That is almost exactly the same result that I got. I knew I was screwed when I tasted the last bit of beer out of the bottling bucket and discovered it to be extremely sweet. I think part of the problem was due to not mixing the corn sugar with sufficient water which resulted in a high density syrup that just laid on the bottom of the bucket instead of mixing readily. Next time I will be dissolving the sugar in a quart of water instead of only a pint.

That may have been my problem. I will have to check my notes.

Latest posts

Back